Cisco switch consolidates functions in the data center
Nexus 5000 consolidates storage, networking and virtualization, reduces costs
Computerworld - Cisco Systems Inc. today announced the Nexus 5000 series of server access switches, which are designed to consolidate storage, networking and virtualization functions in data centers.
The switch unifies Fibre Channel over Ethernet with data center Ethernet and virtualization capabilities, which should reduce data center cabling and cooling costs by 30% to 50%, as well as cut the need for staff oversight, Cisco officials said via a webcast from the Cisco Partner Summit in Honolulu.
The first switch in the new series, the Nexus 5020, will be available in May at a cost of $900 per port. The switch starts with a base configuration of 40 ports, each running 10 Gigabit Ethernet. That can be expanded to 56 ports with the insertion of two out of three available modules, Dante Malagrino, Cisco's director of data center product marketing, said in a separate interview. One of the three other modules comes with eight Fibre Channel ports.
Cisco said it is working with a long list of partners, including Dell Inc., EMC Corp., VMware Inc. and Intel Corp., which are providing a variety of products that will integrate virtualization technology, storage software or even cable connectors with the Nexus 5000 switches.
Malagrino said that storage software licenses will be sold separately; pricing was unavailable.
In addition to reducing the total footprint of devices in the data center, thereby lowering cabling and cooling costs, Malagrino said IT managers will be able to oversee data center operations using existing management tools, including Cisco's traditional IOS management software or its newer Data Center Network Manager product, as well as its Fabric Manager storage management tool.
Cisco has been announcing new products to integrate functions with data center infrastructure for a year. As part of that effort, it announced the Cisco Nexus 7000 in January. The new Nexus 5000 switches will interoperate with the Nexus 7000 and the Cisco Catalyst 6500. In addition, the Nexus 5000 can connect to storage-area network devices in the Cisco MDS 9000 series.
Zeus Kerravala, an analyst at Yankee Group Research Inc., said the Nexus 5000 is the "first product that actually addresses the ... convergence of networks and computing." The switching series will separate Cisco from other networking vendors, he added.
"I've been waiting for other data center network vendors to articulate a strategy like this, and the only other one that has begun to do that is [Brocade Communications Systems Inc.]," he said, noting that Foundry Networks Inc. and Juniper Networks Inc. should adopt similar strategies.
The Nexus 5000 Series came out of a collaboration between Cisco and Nuova Systems. Cisco currently owns 80% of Nuova, and it has said it plans to acquire the remaining 20% of the San Jose-based company by the end of June. The networking giant has invested $70 million in Nuova, Cisco officials said.
- Need to Replace MS Threat Management Gateway? Read this article to learn how F5's Secure Web Gateway solution provides a full set of features that can help you successfully migrate...
- The Shortfall of Network Load Balancing Applications running across networks encounter a wide range of performance, security, and availability challenges as IT department strive to deliver fast, secure access...
- Leave No App Behind with Software Defined Application Services F5 Software Defined Application Services (SDAS) is the next-generation model for delivering application services that enables service injection, consumption, automation, and orchestration across...
- Five Key Issues for DNS - The Next Network Management Challenge Since every icon and URL and all embedded content on a website requires a DNS lookup, loading complex sites necessitates hundreds of DNS...
- Live Webcast IBM FlashSystem V840: Leveraging Software-Defined Flash to Drive Your Business With end-to-end, tightly integrated functionality and super-fast flash technology, products like IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution empower businesses to leverage the efficiency...
- What should I look for in a Next Generation Firewall? SANS Provides Guidance With so many vendors claiming to have a Next Generation Firewall (NGFW), it can be difficult to tell what makes each one different....
- IBM FlashSystem V840: Leveraging Software-Defined Flash to Drive Your Business With end-to-end, tightly integrated functionality and super-fast flash technology, products like IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution empower businesses to leverage the efficiency... All Networking White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!