Supercomputing at less than the cost of a gallon of gas
New service allows users to offload computational work to supercomputer
Computerworld - A supercomputing, pay-per-use service that would make supercomputing affordable to small and midsize businesses, as well individuals who need added computation power, was announced today.
This is not a software-as-a-service offering that gives users access to the application and the compute ability. Instead, users would take an application they already have installed on their laptop or workstation, such as MatLab, computational software developed by The MathWorks Inc., and offload intensive computational work to the supercomputing platform.
The cost is $2.77 per processor core per hour, or about $465 an hour for utilizing all the cores. Users connect using Secure Shell, or SSH, according to Dave Gibson, who heads business development at Interactive Supercomputing. The computer is run by Interactive Supercomputing's partner Tsunamic Technologies Inc. in Orlando.
Read more about Data Center in Computerworld's Data Center Topic Center.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Building a Bridge to the Next Generation Data Center Selecting a widely adopted operating system is a foundational component of a standardization strategy.
- HP HAVEn: See the big picture in Big Data HP HAVEn is the industry's first comprehensive, scalable, open, and secure platform for Big Data. Enterprises are drowning in a sea of data...
- Piecing Together the Business Intelligence Puzzle Business intelligence (BI) technology collects and analyzes company data, delivering relevant information to corporate decision-makers in an effort to produce favorable outcomes.
- Harness IT -- An Introduction to Business Intelligence Solutions Learn the key selection criteria required to provide your organization with the capability to address structured data, unstructured data and mobile demands so...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- Testimonial: Cystic Fibrosis Trust Peter Hawkins, the Head of IT for Cystic Fibrosis Trust, discusses the role CommVault's Simpana software platform plays in improving the company's information... All Data Center White Papers | Webcasts