IDG News Service - Sales of Wi-Fi phones increased by more than 60% last year, according to Infonetics Research, because vendors have done more to support wireless IP telephony.
Last year vendors sold 682,000 Wi-Fi phones worldwide, compared to 358,000 in 2006. There are several explanations for the increase.
"IP telephony has matured, and wireless LANs have also matured. Companies started to build wireless LANs to put data on them, but now they are looking for other applications," said Richard Webb, an analyst at Infonetics Research.
Vendors such as Cisco Systems Inc. and Aruba Wireless Networks have also added features to network hardware to make wireless IP telephony a much easier proposition compared to a couple of years ago. Interoperability tests have also helped, according to Webb.
The sales increase is impressive, according to Webb. But the Wi-Fi phone market is only a couple of years old and, even if the market shows a high growth rate, it is being compared to low volumes.
The Wi-Fi phone market is dominated by Cisco and Polycom Inc., which both had 33% of the market during the fourth quarter of last year. Cisco especially has seen high growth.
"In the beginning of the year, Cisco was behind Polycom, but over time it caught up, thanks to its enterprise sales muscle," said Webb.
Over time, mobile phones with support for Wi-Fi will take over, but there will still be a market for Wi-Fi phones, according to Webb.
"Not all companies want to give employees a mobile phone," said Webb.
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Assessing ROI for Mobile Acceleration Clients This EMA® paper examines the business case for deploying mobile WAN optimization client software and builds a ROI model based on the experiences...
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!