Microsoft Web sites and Adobe's Flash sending Safari off course?
Scattered reports of trouble and a few big misses
According to online complaints, a number of Web sites run by Microsoft Corp. don't load at all under Safari. Such Microsoft sites that have been confirmed by Computerworld include Windows Live Hotmail, Office Live Workspace and Office Live Small Business.
Windows Live Mail is the second most popular U.S. e-mail service, behind Yahoo Mail, according to HitWise.
One of the most common complaints is that Adobe Systems Inc.'s Flash plug-in is malfunctioning under Safari.
"Flash works fine in FireFox. Will not work in Safari," wrote one user, 'wriba,' on Apple's own Safari discussion forum. Flash "does not/will not show up as an installed plugin in Safari. My OS is Vista. Without this plugin, Safari (while I like it) is relatively worthless."
"Apple, are you monitoring this thread? Any help???" wrote 'sbw102' on Apple's forum.
This reporter encountered one Web site that did not recognize the Flash plug-in in Safari but was not able to replicate most of the problems mentioned by users.
According to an Adobe spokesman, Flash has already been tested by Adobe and should work fine on Safari on Windows. A Web page on Adobe's site that indicates otherwise is out of date, he said.
He continued: "We would expect these issues to decrease over time as Safari is out in the market longer and its usage grows."
Siteseeing and Silverlight
Microsoft, for its part, acknowledged that it hadn't coded its Web sites to support Safari yet.
"We are initially supporting browsers with the widest usage and are evaluating Safari support for the future," a spokeswoman wrote in an e-mail. Safari held 5.7% of the browser market in February, according to Net Applications. IE had about 75%, while Firefox had 17%. All of the sites mentioned above work with IE and Firefox.
- How WAN Optimization Helps Enterprises Reduce Costs If you wanted to break down innovation into a tidy equation, it might go something like this: Technology + Connectivity = Productivity. Productivity...
- Four Little-Known Ways WAN Optimization Can Benefit Your Organization WAN optimization has evolved into a complete system that optimizes traffic across a broad range of most popular applications while providing deep visibility...
- SharePlan Security SharePlan is a continuous, secure, enterprise-ready file sync and share platform that facilitates smart, real-time collaboration across all devices.
- Three Ways Your DNS Can Impact DDoS Attacks Domain Name System (DNS) plays a big role in consumers' day-to-day Internet usage and is a critical factor when it comes to distributed...
- Online Video and Web Traffic: Sochi 2014 Winter Olympic Games Over 25 leading global broadcasters worked with Akamai to deliver the action, excitement and inspiration of Sochi because they understand online viewers expect...
- Video surveillance for IT: maximum image quality, minimum bandwidth Join us on Thursday, May 8th at 1 p.m. EST when Willem Ryan, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Avigilon, will discuss how IT... All Networking White Papers | Webcasts