Network World - Unified communications needs to be brought to the masses, and in the process help solve the country's current economic woes, VoiceCon Orlando 2008 attendees were told at the recent conference.
"Now is the time to harness that to get us out of this slump," said Avaya CEO Lou D'Ambrosio, who delivered the show's keynote address.
Unified communications can add efficiency, productivity and improved customer service that will make businesses perform better and therefore improve the economy, he said.
To further that end, the company Tuesday announced a set of service and product bundles that address needs of different classes of workers. Managing the components of these bundles is key and something Avaya has addressed, he said.
"It's the closest thing to plug-and-play that's out there," he said. It is key for the integration to be done for customers, "otherwise there's too many pieces parts to deal with."
D'Ambrosio touted Avaya cooperation with IBM, Microsoft and Cisco as key to this integration, supporting their UC and conferencing software in the case of Microsoft and IBM, and the infrastructure in the case of Cisco.
He outlined Avaya customers who use Avaya bundles to give better customer service in stores by linking call boxes with knowledgeable store employees to answer questions as well as contact center and video gear to bring translation services faster to patient exam rooms in hospitals.
The company is also developing a Second Life application in which customers can go to a Second Life demonstration area to get instructions on how to set up home electronics.
D'Ambrosio said IT and telecom executives have the skills to implement these technologies that will improve their businesses and turn around the economy. "Do you think CEOs know how to do that?" he asked. "Five years from now people will say it is this group that enabled us to get out of this economic funk. It will allow you to be heroes."
- How WAN Optimization Helps Enterprises Reduce Costs If you wanted to break down innovation into a tidy equation, it might go something like this: Technology + Connectivity = Productivity. Productivity...
- Four Little-Known Ways WAN Optimization Can Benefit Your Organization WAN optimization has evolved into a complete system that optimizes traffic across a broad range of most popular applications while providing deep visibility...
- SharePlan Security SharePlan is a continuous, secure, enterprise-ready file sync and share platform that facilitates smart, real-time collaboration across all devices.
- Three Ways Your DNS Can Impact DDoS Attacks Domain Name System (DNS) plays a big role in consumers' day-to-day Internet usage and is a critical factor when it comes to distributed...
- Live Webcast Best Practices: How to Improve Business Continuity with Virtualization VMware solutions include a range of business continuity capabilities to help ensure availability for applications across your virtualized environment. Learn More>>
- Live Webcast
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
- Live Webcast LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- Online Video and Web Traffic: Sochi 2014 Winter Olympic Games Over 25 leading global broadcasters worked with Akamai to deliver the action, excitement and inspiration of Sochi because they understand online viewers expect...
- Video surveillance for IT: maximum image quality, minimum bandwidth Join us on Thursday, May 8th at 1 p.m. EST when Willem Ryan, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Avigilon, will discuss how IT...