InfoWorld - Mashups -- or composite applications -- promise the ability to easily create useful new applications from existing services and Web applications. By combining data from multiple sources across the Web, and from within the enterprise, mashups can help distill important information for people who would otherwise need to gather and distill it manually.
A mortgage underwriter verifying an applicant's income is a good example. Underwriters typically work with a long list of Web pages, accessing public data sources to create a montage of the applicant's financial situation. This is a perfect scenario for a mashup.
Composite applications in 2008 are in the "early adopter" phase, with companies exploring their uses and potential in the enterprise. There's no lack of entrants in the field; a quick search turned up at least 20 different mashup platforms, both commercial and open source. Products such as JackBe Presto, Nexaweb Enterprise Web 2.0 Suite and Kapow's RoboSuite illustrate the range of approaches.
For pros only
- DevOps meets ALM in the Cloud - Cloud DevOps PaaS To improve software delivery performance and effectiveness, teams need automation, governance, architecture best practices, and increased team collaboration. Find out more.
- Coding with JRebel: Java Forever Changed With JRebel, developers get to see their code changes immediately, fine-tune their code with incremental changes, debug, explore and deploy their code with...
- What Developers Want: The End of Application Redeploys Eliminate application restarts in Java with JRebel! JRebel is a JVM plugin that eliminates application redeploys from the Java development cycle, a process...
- How a German energy company saved 1 day per week of development time with JRebel Check out the following case study to see how Heliocentris, a global energy supply and efficiency company deployed a development solution that was...
- It's not too late...Get Your Mobile Questions Answered Live! How can IT provide seamless and secure mobile communications and collaboration for all? Join this live Webcast as IDG asks an expert panel...
- Why do you need an enterprise mobile platform? Today companies must offer great apps that run on a range of devices, and connect to an exploding set of backend data. Appcelerator... All App Development White Papers | Webcasts