Reports: U.S. to name head of new cybersecurity center
Beckstrom is a tech entrepreneur, author
IDG News Service - WASHINGTON — Tech entrepreneur and author Rod Beckstrom will be named to run the new National Cyber Security Center at the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, according to news reports.
Beckstrom, founder of Cats Software and co-founder of Twiki.net, a company that offers an open-source wiki software system, would head the center, created by President George Bush in a January directive, according to reports in The Washington Post and The Wall Street Journal. The Bush administration has largely been silent about the cybersecurity center.
In addition to founding a handful of tech companies and nonprofit groups, Beckstrom is co-author of the book The Starfish and the Spider: The Unstoppable Power of Leaderless Organizations, which praises the nimbleness of decentralized organizations. Beckstrom has suggested that the U.S. government could better fight terrorist groups by taking a more decentralized approach, including using outsourcing and deploying more autonomous special operations units on the battlefield.
Beckstrom would report directly to DHS Secretary Michael Chertoff. In September 2006, Chertoff appointed Greg Garcia, the former vice president for information security policy and programs at the Information Technology Association of America, as DHS assistant secretary for cybersecurity and telecommunications. Garcia reports to a DHS undersecretary.
An official announcement about Beckstrom's appointment could come later today.
- Troubleshooting Common Issues in VoIP Learn more about Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP), including common VoIP metrics used, best practices in VoIP management and tips and tricks for...
- 2013 Network Management Software (NMS) Buyers Guide This white paper contains an independent comparison study of six different network management solutions and provides guidance on how you can choose the...
- Rightsizing Your Network Performance Management Solution: 4 Case Studies This white paper discusses challenges encountered as organizations search for the most cost-effective network performance management solution.
- Global Growing Pains: Tapping into B2B Integration Services to Overcome Global Expansion Challenges A recent survey by IDG Research explored both the challenges and pain points companies face when growing globally, as well as the capabilities...
- E-Signature RFP Checklist Webcast If your organization is looking to adopt e-signatures, you may be overwhelmed by the number of providers that offer seemingly similar solutions. How...
- Cloud and Collaboration: Driving Your Business Value Mission Critical Cloud from Peer 1 Hosting is enterprise-grade. All Security White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!