Arcot brings two-factor authentication to Google Apps
Upping the security for users operating in the cloud
IDG News Service - Google Apps users now have a more secure way to log on to the online groupware service.
Arcot Systems on Wednesday announced that it was making its A-OK On-Demand authentication service available to Google Apps Premier Edition users to add another layer of security to the logon process.
Typically Google Apps users enter a username and password to get access to the Web-based mail, calendar and groupware software, but with the A-OK product they also use an encrypted file that is stored on their computer to add a second factor of authentication. As with online banking products, if the user tries to log on from a different computer, A-OK will ask predetermined questions, such as "What high school did you attend," before granting the user access to Google Apps.
This is the first time that Google has partnered with someone to provide two-factor authentication for Google Apps, according to Eran Feigenbaum, senior security manager with Google Enterprise. "Google has the tools to show you how to pick a good password," he said, "But to the companies that are concerned about users losing their passwords, I think the Arcot two-factor authentication product is perfect."
Since launching more than a year ago, Google Apps has added more than 500,000 customers, but some of them are looking for a higher level of security when it comes to signing on to the service, Feigenbaum said.
Feigenbaum hopes that Arcot's two-factor product will make Google Apps more appealing in markets where this kind of strong authentication is a common requirement, such as the financial services and defense industries.
The A-OK On-Demand service is available now for Google Apps. It costs $1 per user per year, and is available only to users of the Premier Edition of Google Apps.
- Securing Mobile App Data - Comparing Containers and App Wrappers Analysts agree that Mobile Device Management (MDM) is not enough when it comes to securing app data. Although it remains a critical component...
- PCI 3.0 Compliance In this white paper, learn how PCI-DSS 3.0 effects how you deploy and maintain PCI compliant networks using CradlePoint devices.
- Mitigating Security Risks at the Networks Edge This white paper provides strategies and best practices for distributed enterprises to protect their networks against vulnerabilities, threats, and malicious attacks.
- 5 Strategies for Modern Data Protection Read the five strategies for modern data protection that will not only help solve your current data management challenges but also ensure that...
- Business-driven data protection Setting up data protection infrastructures with your organizations' core mission or business in mind is key. In this webinar, the ARCserve team will...
- On-Demand Webinar: Mind the Gap! Watch the webinar featuring Bob Janssen, CTO and Co-Founder of RES Software, to start building a solid foundation for business and IT to... All Security White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!