HP aims new 8-drive array at the midsize company
The EVA4400 has a starting list price of $15,000
IDG News Service - As more midsize companies consolidate their storage, Hewlett-Packard Co. seized an opportunity yesterday with a disk array it said is easier to work with than large enterprise gear, but delivers more capabilities than entry-level storage.
Pursuing the efficiency of virtualization or just greater uptime, midsize organizations are bringing storage out of their servers and into SANs. But many don't have the expertise required to set up and run enterprise-class SANs, according to HP. Thus, the HP StorageWorks 4400 Enterprise Virtual Array (EVA4400), a platform with eight drives and two controllers all in one shelf that is designed to be discovered, configured and set up in less than an hour.
The EVA4400 is available now and destined for the low end of the midrange market, starting at a list price of $15,000, said Kyle Fitze, director of marketing in the SAN division of HP's StorageWorks group. These customers tend to have about 1,000 employees, though some smaller enterprises may need this type of gear if they use a lot of storage, he said. Midsize businesses often see enterprise storage gear as too complex but need more than entry-level technology, he said.
Consolidating drives and controllers in one shelf cuts costs, Fitze said. The two controllers that manage the drives operate simultaneously and can keep the system running if one fails. The array can be configured with drives ranging from 146GB to 1TB. Fully expanded on multiple shelves, the system can support as much as 96TB of storage.
Also yesterday, HP introduced a set of 8Gbit/sec. Fibre Channel gear that can be used with the EVA4400. It delivers double the speed of the 4Gbit/sec. Fibre Channel technology now commonly used in SANs. The portfolio, including a switch, a PCI Express host bus adapter and software, is available now for $8,199.
Pattillo Construction uses an HP MSA1000 storage array that's about 6 years old, said IT Director Buzz Kaas. The industrial park development and management company in Stone Mountain, Ga., has about 4TB of data, which is growing as records such as architectural drawings and leases become digital, Kaas said. He tested the EVA4400 and found he could install and set it up in about 10 minutes, a process that would have taken overnight with the older array. Pattillo has an IT staff of two and pays a consultant to manage the MSA1000. By contrast, the staff could handle daily management of the EVA4400 by itself, Kaas said.
Like other storage vendors, HP recently has been trying to make high-end storage easier to use so it can attract smaller customers, said IDC analyst Natalya Yezhkova. Most midsize companies don't have storage specialists, and if they buy advanced storage systems, they need to either get tools that simplify management or hire additional staff, she said.
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Infographic: Converged Infrastructure Benefits This Infographic quantifies the savings organizations are realizing from increased deployment speed, higher availability, and lower annual costs.
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- Going Paperless? Here's What You Need to Think About As makers of some of the world's most popular PDF solutions, we often consult with businesses & governmental agencies that have the goal...
- The Big Data Opportunity for HR and Finance If CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, and CHROs want to drive their businesses forward, they will need to quickly recognize the enormous value of big...
Enhance Your Virtualization Infrastructure With IBM and Vmware
Date: Wednesday, May 14, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
Virtualization technology is now expanding beyond the server compute elements to encompass networking and storage...
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
All Networked Storage White Papers |