Apple slashes iPod Shuffle price 38%
It also plans to add a 2GB Shuffle to line by month's end
The current iPod Shuffle, a screenless player that weighs half an ounce and sports 1GB of flash memory, debuted in September 2006 at $79. The 38% price cut is effective immediately, Apple said.
The price point is a record low for Apple, which launched the first-generation iPod Shuffle in January 2005 at $99 for a 512MB model, $149 for a device with 1GB of storage. "At just $49, the iPod Shuffle is the most affordable iPod ever," said Greg Joswiak, Apple's vice president of global iPod marketing, in a brief statement.
The 2GB iPod Shuffle, which Apple said would be available by the end of February, will hold approximately 480 songs.
Today's announcement was the second time this month that Apple has beefed up storage in its iPod line. Two weeks ago, it added a 32GB iPod Touch priced at $499 to the existing lineup that featured 8GB ($299) and 16GB ($399) models.
Read more about Mobile/Wireless in Computerworld's Mobile/Wireless Topic Center.
- Assessing ROI for Mobile Acceleration Clients This EMA® paper examines the business case for deploying mobile WAN optimization client software and builds a ROI model based on the experiences...
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!