Review: 7 secure USB drives
Winners and runners-up
Each of the drives we reviewed has its strong and weak points. For example, Corsair's Survivor is, arguably, very secure -- but the password rules are challenging to follow. The Lexar JumpDrive Secure II offers three ways to protect data, but two of its methods were so awkward that the reviewer found them to be being more trouble than they were worth.
Although the Corsair Padlock is relatively slow, and certainly not the most secure of the bunch (because its security is based on hardware), its cross-platform capability can make a big difference if you're moving files among Windows, Linux, and Mac computers. We've run into problems with secure flash drives cooperating only among Windows machines, so if we needed cross-platform support, we'd have to lean toward the Padlock (and maybe bring along a second skinny vanilla latte to sip on while the files are being transferred).
The IronKey, while toward the high-end of the price ranges, is built like a fortress and its read/write speeds are superior to the others we tested. By comparison, the Corsair Survivor's performance numbers come close to IronKey's, and, along with the SanDisk Cruzer, it uses the least CPU cycles.
When it comes to practical tests, such as saving files to the drive, the Kingston was 2.5 times as fast as the Lexar -- and that, along with a simpler interface, can often be what truly matters.
Overall, however, the IronKey's numerous security features -- hardware-based encrytion, random password generator, two-factor authentication, secure Web browsing, and self-destruct mechanism -- along with its longer-life, single-level cell NAND memory, put it over the top as the highest quality, most secure drive of the bunch.
Flash Drive Speed/CPU Utilization Comparison (Windows XP)
|Burst Speed (MB/sec)||Average Read (MB/sec)||CPU Utilization ( 2%)|
|Corsair Flash Padlock||15.9||15.4||5%|
|Imation Pivot Plus||16.7||16.1||8%|
|Kingston DataTraveler Secure||20.2||13.2||10%|
|Lexar JumpDrive Secure II||15.9||15.5||7%|
|SanDisk Cruzer Professional||24.8||13.4||4%|
Price, Capacity and Security Comparisons
|Capacity tested||Capacities available||Price (MSRP model tested)||Encryption type|
|Corsair Flash Padlock||1GB||1GB,2GB,4GB||$29.99||None|
|Corsair Survivor GT||8GB||4GB,8GB,16GB,32GB||$129.99||256-bit AES|
|Imation Pivot Plus||1GB||1GB,2GB,4GB,8GB||$69.99||256-bit AES|
|IronKey Secure||4GB||1GB,2GB,4GB||$149.99||128-bit AES|
|Kingston DataTraveler Secure||8GB||1GB,2GB,4GB,8GB||$327.00||256-bit AES|
|Lexar JumpDrive Secure II||1GB||256MB,512MB,1GB,
|SanDisk Cruzer Professional||1GB||1GB,2GB,4GB||$54.99||256-bit AES|
Read more about Data Storage in Computerworld's Data Storage Topic Center.
- Data Warehouse Augmentation: The Queryable Data Store While organizations have, to date, been busy exploring and experimenting, they are now beginning to focus on using big data technologies to solve...
- Rebranded Quadmark revamps its IT solutions with Google Apps Switching to Google Apps halved Quadmark's IT admin costs while achieving 10% time savings per employee. The global consulting firm now spends 80%...
- CrashPlan PROe Security Because mobile laptops often are connected to unsecured networks, a very high standard of security is required to ensure privacy.
- Protecting Digitalized Assets in Healthcare Healthcare providers face an urgent, internal battle every day: security and compliance versus productivity and service. For most healthcare organizations, the fight is...
- Live Webcast LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- Make or Break: New Auto Products Must Go To Market On Time This Webcast quantifies the value of time to market for the auto industry and highlights how Primavera Enterprise Portfolio Management can help organizations. All Data Storage White Papers | Webcasts