Microsoft ships new XP SP3 code to testers
But there's no word on final delivery date for the aged OS
Computerworld - Following the announcement earlier this week that Vista Service Pack 1 (SP1) had been shipped to manufacturing, Microsoft Corp. today confirmed that it seeded another build of Windows XP SP3 to a closed set of testers.
"Yesterday, we released Windows XP SP3 RC 2 to private beta testers," a Microsoft spokeswoman said in an e-mail. "This release catches the build up on previously released hot fixes and responds to critical feedback from previous betas."
The last time Microsoft sent XP SP3 to the invite-only group of some 15,000 testers was two weeks ago, when it issued what it dubbed RC (Release Candidate) Refresh 2. The general public has seen only one version of XP's final service pack, which Microsoft released in December 2007.
However, Windows XP SP3's ship date remained as elusive as ever. "We are targeting 1H [first-half] 2008 for the release of XP SP3 RTM, though our timing will always be based on customer feedback as a first priority," the spokeswoman added.
On Monday, Microsoft said Vista SP1, a service pack that has received far more attention from the company and its public relations people, was ready to release to manufacturing (RTM). However, rather than immediately offer it to users -- or even IT pros and developers who subscribe to TechNet and MSDN -- Microsoft will hold the code until next month to resolve device-driver issues.
One TechNet subscriber warned Microsoft not to duplicate that decision when XP SP3 moved to RTM. "Try doing this for XP SP3, and I'll say bye-bye to Windows forever," threatened a user identified only as "someone."
The decision to delay releasing the SP1 RTM code to developers has apparently infuriated many.
The next major milestone for Windows XP after SP3 ships is June 30, when the nearly 7-year-old operating system is slated to fall off the reseller and retail availability list.
Read more about App Development in Computerworld's App Development Topic Center.
- The Business Value of Continuous Delivery Download this whitepaper to learn more about the business value of Continuous Delivery and see why it could be a game changer for...
- Ten Factors Shaping the Future of Application Delivery Download this research report conducted by Enterprise Management Associates (EMA) to learn how those that are seeking to accelerate application delivery are leveraging...
- Adobe Creative Cloud FAQ The following are answers to common questions about Adobe® Creative Cloud™ for teams membership, purchasing, security, and storage.
- What's coming to Adobe Creative Cloud Editing and video content creation workflows are about to get easier and more exciting, with major updates coming soon to Creative Cloud, bringing...
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope... All App Development White Papers | Webcasts