Are Dell, Google planning a phone partnership?
Reports indicate an announcement next week in Barcelona
Neither Dell nor Google officials could be reached immediately for comment. But a report in MarketingWeek cited "senior industry sources" who claimed that the two companies will reveal plans for a partnership on a mobile phone at the conference, formerly the 3GSM World Congress.
John Byrne, an analyst at Technology Business Research Inc. in Hampton, N.H., said in an interview that he is attending the event and plans to follow up with both companies. "Supposedly, there is a possible [handheld] they are announcing on the Android platform," he said.
"So far, it is vaporware and images," he said.
Ken Dulaney, an analyst at Gartner Inc., said he had not heard about a Dell-Google partnership. "In my opinion, Dell would not be smart to get into the phone business," he said.
Dulaney speculated that Dell might instead announce an Internet tablet PC running Android and using Intel Corp. chips along the lines of Intel's Mobile Internet Device (MID) concept. Intel talked about MIDs at the International Consumer Electronics Show as a possible end point for users of WiMax high-speed wireless networks.
Read more about Mobile/Wireless in Computerworld's Mobile/Wireless Topic Center.
- Securing Mobile App Data - Comparing Containers and App Wrappers Analysts agree that Mobile Device Management (MDM) is not enough when it comes to securing app data. Although it remains a critical component...
- 3G/4G Digital Signage Guide Today, the widespread availability of 3G and 4G cellular or wireless broadband networks enables digital signage to be deployed virtually anywhere.
- Enterprises in Motion: In-Vehicle Networks In a world where traditional tethers to the central office have all but vanished, enterprises that operate vehicle fleets require constant and dependable...
- Uninterrupted Internet: Maximizing Revenue and Minimizing Business Risk with 3G/4G Failover Whether your businesses are connected to the Internet via T1/T3, or Cable, incorporating a mobile broadband backup solution adds uptime whenever there is...
- Don't Believe the Hype: Not All Containers are Created Equal Hear executives discuss the 3 C's of Secure Mobility-content, credentials, and configurations-and learn the inherent security risks to your organization of using MDM...
- Navigating the New Wireless Landscape Thriving in the new wireless landscape View Now>> All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts