Skip the navigation
News

Judge extends Microsoft monitoring until 2009

States wanted five more years of antitrust oversight

January 30, 2008 12:00 PM ET

Computerworld - U.S. District Judge Colleen Kollar-Kotelly extended portions of the landmark antitrust consent decree between Microsoft Corp. and state and federal antitrust regulators for another two years, until Nov. 12, 2009.

Eleven states, lead by New York and California, had asked that the monitoring of Microsoft's business practices continue for five years, until late 2012. Microsoft, on the other hand, had repeatedly argued that no further oversight was necessary.

Kollar-Kotelly explained the reasoning behind the extension in a six-page summary of her 78-page opinion, which she issued late Tuesday from her District of Columbia court. "The provisions of the final judgments have not yet had the chance to operate together as the comprehensive remedy the court and the parties envisioned when the final judgments were entered," she said.

She put much of the blame on the failure of the 2002 settlement to live up to its billing on Microsoft's shoulders, saying its foot-dragging was largely responsible. "Although the technical documentation project is complex and novel, it is clear, at least to the court, that Microsoft is culpable for this inexcusable delay. To be sure, the delay has developed in stages, and at each step Microsoft commendably has been willing to work with the plaintiffs and the TC to address issues and identify a means of resolving them.

"Nevertheless, practically speaking, Microsoft has never complied with § III.E," Kollar-Kotelly continued. "While Microsoft eventually proposed a plan that now appears to be producing the type of quality technical documentation required by § III.E, it did so in the face of mounting pressure from all plaintiffs and the court. In addition, there is no reason why the type of documentation finally being created could not have been created from the outset if the necessary resources had been devoted to the project.

The technical documentation that Kollar-Kotelly referred to was one of the major requirements of the consent decree, and forced Microsoft to document numerous Windows protocols so that rivals could create software that would work smoothly with Microsoft-powered servers. Those provisions -- in the section dubbed § III.E -- had already been extended for an additional two years, with Microsoft's consent, but the states claimed that the settlement was interconnected, and urged the judge to extend all the decree's rules if some had been.

"The court concludes that the § III.E delay, with its ramifications for the final judgments' overall implementation, is entirely incongruous with the original expectations of the parties and the court, and thus constitutes a 'significant change in circumstances' that warrants modification," reasoned Kollar-Kotelly.

Microsoft countered with a statement after the judge issued her ruling. "We will continue to comply fully with the consent decree," said Brad Smith, Microsoft's general counsel, in an e-mailed statement. "We are gratified that the court recognized our extensive efforts to work cooperatively with the large number of government agencies involved. We built Windows Vista in compliance with these rules, and we will continue to adhere to the decree's requirements."



Our Commenting Policies
Blog Spotlight
Sharky

This state transportation department uses computer science students from a local university as programming interns, and everyone is happy with the arrangement -- until one intern learns how to bring down the mainframe.

Richi Jennings
Richi Jennings