Weak memory pricing hurts Intel Q4 revenue
Results fall short of estimates
IDG News Service - Intel Corp.'s financial results for the fourth quarter of 2007 fell short of analysts' estimates in part because of weak prices for memory chips.
The company recorded revenue of quarterly $10.7 billion, up 10.5% from the same period a year earlier, but lower than the $10.8 billion consensus estimate of analysts polled by Thomson Financial.
Revenue from computing-related products was as expected, but revenue related to NAND memory was lower than expected, Intel said in a statement (pdf format).
The company reported quarterly net income of $2.27 billion, below analysts' estimates of $2.38 billion. Earnings per share were 38 cents.
Intel in November rolled out its next-generation Penryn processors, which the company claims provide better power efficiency and graphics performance than its earlier chips did. Manufactured using the 45-nanometer process, Penryn chips were first launched for workstations; in early January, Intel rolled out 45nm chips for servers, laptops and desktops.
Intel is expected to launch processors for its Montevina platform, an upgrade to its mobile Centrino platform, later this year. It will also roll out Menlow processors, for ultramobile computers, later this year. Intel is also working on a new chip architecture code-named Nehalem, which will appear in late 2008.
- The Growing Demand for Rich Media This white paper discusses how IBM Customer Experience Suite Rich Media Edition can automate rich media workflows, from collaborating with creative agencies and...
- The Next Generation Employee Experience This white paper from IBM, showcases five organizations that are strategically integrating emerging social software and tools with their existing investments and seeing...
- Jyske Bank extends brand message to more than one million visitors a month IBM WebSphere Portal software helps bank offer a clearly differentiated digital experience
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt.
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to... All Management White Papers | Webcasts