Weak memory pricing hurts Intel Q4 revenue
Results fall short of estimates
IDG News Service - Intel Corp.'s financial results for the fourth quarter of 2007 fell short of analysts' estimates in part because of weak prices for memory chips.
The company recorded revenue of quarterly $10.7 billion, up 10.5% from the same period a year earlier, but lower than the $10.8 billion consensus estimate of analysts polled by Thomson Financial.
Revenue from computing-related products was as expected, but revenue related to NAND memory was lower than expected, Intel said in a statement (pdf format).
The company reported quarterly net income of $2.27 billion, below analysts' estimates of $2.38 billion. Earnings per share were 38 cents.
Intel in November rolled out its next-generation Penryn processors, which the company claims provide better power efficiency and graphics performance than its earlier chips did. Manufactured using the 45-nanometer process, Penryn chips were first launched for workstations; in early January, Intel rolled out 45nm chips for servers, laptops and desktops.
Intel is expected to launch processors for its Montevina platform, an upgrade to its mobile Centrino platform, later this year. It will also roll out Menlow processors, for ultramobile computers, later this year. Intel is also working on a new chip architecture code-named Nehalem, which will appear in late 2008.
Oracle Software Licensing: The Value of Resellers
NEW white paper explores real-world insights and:
* The Rise of Audits
* Compliance Spend
* SAM and Compliance
* Working Directly with a...
- ACM Leadership Guide Knowledge worker effectiveness has emerged as a top priority to both optimize the customer experience and help employees work more efficiently. See how...
- Global Growing Pains: Tapping into B2B Integration Services to Overcome Global Expansion Challenges A recent survey by IDG Research explored both the challenges and pain points companies face when growing globally, as well as the capabilities...
- PCI 3.0 Compliance In this white paper, learn how PCI-DSS 3.0 effects how you deploy and maintain PCI compliant networks using CradlePoint devices.
- E-Signature RFP Checklist Webcast If your organization is looking to adopt e-signatures, you may be overwhelmed by the number of providers that offer seemingly similar solutions. How...
- Expert Panel: Enterprise Mobility and Data Loss Prevention When it comes to enterprise mobility, it's not just about devices, it's about the way people work. Hear this expert panel discuss the... All Management White Papers | Webcasts