China Mobile reportedly rebuffs Apple's iPhone
Not happy with the 20%-30% cut Apple wants, says Chinese news site
Computerworld - China Mobile Communications Corp., which has been talking with Apple Inc. for more than two months about serving as the U.S. company's iPhone partner, has broken off negotiations, news reports said today.
"We can only say that negotiations have ended for now. We have no other news to report," a spokeswoman for China Mobile told The Wall Street Journal.
Earlier, the company's CEO, Wang Jianzhou, had expressed reservations about the revenue-sharing model that Apple requires from its other partners, including AT&T Inc. in the U.S. and T-Mobile in Germany.
Also today, the Chinese-language Web site Sina.com reported that an unnamed official at China Mobile blamed the talks breakdown on Apple's insistence of a 20% to 30% share of the carrier's revenue earned from iPhone customers.
Apple has pledged to introduce the iPhone to Asia this year, but as is its practice, it has not specified countries or launch dates.
Representatives from the Cupertino, Calif., company did not return a call seeking comment.
Read more about Mobile/Wireless in Computerworld's Mobile/Wireless Topic Center.
- Assessing ROI for Mobile Acceleration Clients This EMA® paper examines the business case for deploying mobile WAN optimization client software and builds a ROI model based on the experiences...
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!