In response to Apple, Netflix offers unlimited streaming of movies, TV
Apple expected to launch its own movie rental service at Macworld
Computerworld - Beginning today, Netflix Inc. subscribers who have unlimited DVD rental plans will be able to stream as many movies and television shows as they want online for no additional charge, the online DVD rental company said.
Netflix said its subscribers will have access to its library of more than 6,000 movies and TV episodes.
Netflix launched online movie streaming last year but had only allowed subscribers to watch one hour of entertainment online for every dollar of their subscription fees, the company said in a statement. For example, subscribers with plans that cost $16.99 were able to stream 17 hours of movies or TV shows online, the company said.
Now, subscribers with unlimited DVD rental plans can watch as many movies and TV shows online as they want at no additional cost, Netflix said.
"Unlimited has always been a very powerful selling point with our subscribers and a large part of what set us apart in the marketplace," said Leslie Kilgore, the company's chief marketing officer, in the statement. "In talking with members about our streaming feature during the past year, it became clear that, as with DVDs, the idea of streaming unlimited movies and TV episodes on a PC resonated quite strongly. And we're now in a good position to offer that."
Read more about Networking in Computerworld's Networking Topic Center.
- 6TB Oracle Ecommerce Stack Deployed on AWS in 7 Days A Fortune 1000 company was told that it would take more than 6 months to deploy their ecommerce stack on AWS. CloudVelocity deployed...
- Improving IT Efficiencies: Four Advantages of Multi-Tenant Data Centers Increasing demands on IT are forcing organizations to rethink their data center options. For many organizations, that means turning to the flexibility afforded...
- Accelerating Cloud Deployment and Operations with Managed Services Companies that do not have sufficient in-house expertise to either deploy or maintain an IaaS cloud should turn to Managed Service Providers .
- Rethinking IT Operations in the Cloud This paper breaks down the challenges that often prevent the cloud from delivering the fast, flexible and affordable infrastructure companies seek - and...
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope... All E-business White Papers | Webcasts