CES: OQO shows off WiMax-enabled ultramobile PC
Device weighs 1 lb., uses Vista
Computerworld - LAS VEGAS -- WiMax high-speed wireless networks and devices will be a major topic of interest at CES, and OQO Inc. is demonstrating one the first devices to use the technology this week.
The OQO Model 02, an ultramobile PC running Windows Vista that was first introduced a year ago, is embedded with mobile WiMax capabilities. The newest model, which weighs 1 lb., sells for $1,299, a drop of $400 from the price versions shipped a year ago, a spokesman said.
OQO also offers a high-end version that will include 64GB of storage and a display optimized to be used in sunlight.Sprint Nextel Corp. and Motorola Inc. are joining Intel Corp. in a range of demonstrations of WiMax, including in a car being driven through Las Vegas while using WiMax.
Bob Rosin, a senior vice president of marketing at San Francisco-based OQO, said the appeal of WiMax on a small device is the ability to run applications, such as video, with the same high speed and full functionality as they would from a desktop.
The shipping version of the OQO Model 02 supports wide-area wireless access via Wi-Fi, Bluetooth or EV-DO Rev. A. It features a sliding display that reveals a full QWERTY keyboard. It is 5.6 in. wide, 3.3 in. high and 1 in. thick.
OQO's model 02
Read more about Mobile/Wireless in Computerworld's Mobile/Wireless Topic Center.
- Assessing ROI for Mobile Acceleration Clients This EMA® paper examines the business case for deploying mobile WAN optimization client software and builds a ROI model based on the experiences...
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!