CES: Gates says 100M copies of Vista sold
Means Microsoft sold 12 million copies in November, December
Speaking at the Consumer Electronics Show, Gates announced the 100-million mark during his keynote address, a fixture at the Las Vegas-based trade show since 1994.
The last time Microsoft trotted out Vista numbers was in October, when it claimed that it had shipped 88 million copies of the operating system. Previously, it had cited 20 million copies shipped in its first month after launch, 40 million copies in the opening 100 days and 60 million by late July.
In a release posted prior to Gates' keynote, however, Microsoft said Gates would claim that the company "has sold more than 100 million Windows Vista licenses to date."
According to measurements collected by Net Applications Inc., which monitors traffic at approximately 40,000 Web sites, Vista's share broke the 10% mark for the first time, to end the year at 10.5%. In comparison, Windows XP accounted for 76.9% and Mac OS X's 7.3% during December.
More information about Vista sales may be disclosed Monday by Microsoft, which will hold a conference call and webcast with financial analysts and reporters from CES at 2 p.m. Pacific time. It will not release results from its fiscal 2008 second quarter, however, until Jan. 24; that quarter ended Dec. 31, 2007.
In the past, the company has used press conferences announcing quarterly results to boast of Vista sales. Both the 60 million and 88 million copies shipped figures, for instance, were given out during calls with financial analysts.
Read more about Operating Systems in Computerworld's Operating Systems Topic Center.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
Red Hat Enterprise Linux - The Original Cloud Operating System
Linux adoption is growing against a number of measures, such as the
number of supercomputers that run Linux and the size of the contributing...
- What Datapipe customers need to know about the new PCI DSS 3.0 compliance standard This handy quick reference outlines what PCI DSS 3.0 is, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the new...
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Partners in Mobile Device Management: AirWatch & CDW When it comes to Mobile Device Management, it's not just what you know. It's who you know. That's why CDW partners with industry...
- Four Myths of High-Productivity App Dev Debunked Debunk the main myths surrounding high-productivity application development and how both platforms have overcome them.
- Redefine Your IT Operations: Remote Office IT Has Never Been Simpler Join us to see why PC Pro named Dell PowerEdge VRTX the "2013 Server of the Year." PowerEdge VRTX may be just what... All Operating Systems White Papers | Webcasts