Asus to unveil terabyte laptop
M70S to be introduced at CES next week
IDG News Service - TOKYO -- Asus will unveil a laptop that should satisfy the storage needs of all but the biggest of power users: the M70S comes with 1TB of storage space.
The machine, due for release at next week's Consumer Electronics Show, is aimed at the fast-expanding multimedia sector of the laptop market and packs dual 500GB drives from Hitachi, which are expected to be announced later today. The drives can be organized in a RAID 0 configuration, where data is distributed between the two drives to provide a performance boost on a single drive, or as RAID 1, where data is mirrored on each drive to provide redundancy in case of drive failure. In the latter case, the storage space visible to the user drops to 500GB.
The Asus M70S laptop
The Asus M70 comes optionally equipped to make use of the extra storage space with a digital/analog TV tuner and video recording capability. An optional remote control is also available. The explosion in digital video is one of the main reasons why consumers are increasingly demanding as much storage space on their laptops as on desktop computers.
An Intel Core2 Duo processor lies at the heart of the laptop, and models will be available with the T7700, 7500, 7300 or 7100 versions of the chip. Other features include an ATI 3650 graphics card, Web cam, fingerprint reader and 1GB of memory.
Asus will also launch the M50S laptop at CES. The computer targets the same multimedia segment of the market but attempts to satisfy a niche for a high-performance laptop that's slightly smaller than the typical 17-in. models.
The Asus M50S laptop
The M50S machine comes with the same processor selection but has a 15.4-in. widescreen display at either WXGA (1,366 by 768 pixels), WXGA+ or WSXGA+ (1,680 by 1,050 pixels) resolution.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Using VM Archiving to Solve VM Sprawl This CommVault whitepaper discusses how archiving virtual machines can mitigate VM sprawl with a comprehensive approach to VM lifecycle management.
- Keep Your Network Available, Efficient and Secure Make the most of your network by working with experts who "get it." CDW and F5 have partnered to keep networks highly optimized....
- VCE Converged Infrastructure Enables Continuous Operation for Swiss Power Plant Read how Vblock™ Systems, running in active-active mode, enabled KKL to transform its twin data centers in just two months, enable continuous operations,...
- The Future of IT: A Customer First Approach Explore how customer-first policies can make use of social, mobile and cloud technologies to give workers the freedom and flexibility they desire to...
- Make or Break: New Auto Products Must Go To Market On Time This Webcast quantifies the value of time to market for the auto industry and highlights how Primavera Enterprise Portfolio Management can help organizations.
- IBM Flash Webcast: Optimizing your Datacenter for Efficient Storage & ROI Register for this webcast to learn the benefits of flash storage from IBM Customer, Leonardo Irastorza of Royal Caribbean Cruise Ltd and Storage... All Data Storage White Papers | Webcasts