Asus to unveil terabyte laptop
M70S to be introduced at CES next week
IDG News Service - TOKYO -- Asus will unveil a laptop that should satisfy the storage needs of all but the biggest of power users: the M70S comes with 1TB of storage space.
The machine, due for release at next week's Consumer Electronics Show, is aimed at the fast-expanding multimedia sector of the laptop market and packs dual 500GB drives from Hitachi, which are expected to be announced later today. The drives can be organized in a RAID 0 configuration, where data is distributed between the two drives to provide a performance boost on a single drive, or as RAID 1, where data is mirrored on each drive to provide redundancy in case of drive failure. In the latter case, the storage space visible to the user drops to 500GB.
The Asus M70S laptop
The Asus M70 comes optionally equipped to make use of the extra storage space with a digital/analog TV tuner and video recording capability. An optional remote control is also available. The explosion in digital video is one of the main reasons why consumers are increasingly demanding as much storage space on their laptops as on desktop computers.
An Intel Core2 Duo processor lies at the heart of the laptop, and models will be available with the T7700, 7500, 7300 or 7100 versions of the chip. Other features include an ATI 3650 graphics card, Web cam, fingerprint reader and 1GB of memory.
Asus will also launch the M50S laptop at CES. The computer targets the same multimedia segment of the market but attempts to satisfy a niche for a high-performance laptop that's slightly smaller than the typical 17-in. models.
The Asus M50S laptop
The M50S machine comes with the same processor selection but has a 15.4-in. widescreen display at either WXGA (1,366 by 768 pixels), WXGA+ or WSXGA+ (1,680 by 1,050 pixels) resolution.
- Data Warehouse Augmentation: The Queryable Data Store While organizations have, to date, been busy exploring and experimenting, they are now beginning to focus on using big data technologies to solve...
- Rebranded Quadmark revamps its IT solutions with Google Apps Switching to Google Apps halved Quadmark's IT admin costs while achieving 10% time savings per employee. The global consulting firm now spends 80%...
- CrashPlan PROe Security Because mobile laptops often are connected to unsecured networks, a very high standard of security is required to ensure privacy.
- Protecting Digitalized Assets in Healthcare Healthcare providers face an urgent, internal battle every day: security and compliance versus productivity and service. For most healthcare organizations, the fight is...
- Live Webcast LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- Make or Break: New Auto Products Must Go To Market On Time This Webcast quantifies the value of time to market for the auto industry and highlights how Primavera Enterprise Portfolio Management can help organizations. All Data Storage White Papers | Webcasts