Asus to unveil terabyte laptop
M70S to be introduced at CES next week
IDG News Service - TOKYO -- Asus will unveil a laptop that should satisfy the storage needs of all but the biggest of power users: the M70S comes with 1TB of storage space.
The machine, due for release at next week's Consumer Electronics Show, is aimed at the fast-expanding multimedia sector of the laptop market and packs dual 500GB drives from Hitachi, which are expected to be announced later today. The drives can be organized in a RAID 0 configuration, where data is distributed between the two drives to provide a performance boost on a single drive, or as RAID 1, where data is mirrored on each drive to provide redundancy in case of drive failure. In the latter case, the storage space visible to the user drops to 500GB.
The Asus M70S laptop
The Asus M70 comes optionally equipped to make use of the extra storage space with a digital/analog TV tuner and video recording capability. An optional remote control is also available. The explosion in digital video is one of the main reasons why consumers are increasingly demanding as much storage space on their laptops as on desktop computers.
An Intel Core2 Duo processor lies at the heart of the laptop, and models will be available with the T7700, 7500, 7300 or 7100 versions of the chip. Other features include an ATI 3650 graphics card, Web cam, fingerprint reader and 1GB of memory.
Asus will also launch the M50S laptop at CES. The computer targets the same multimedia segment of the market but attempts to satisfy a niche for a high-performance laptop that's slightly smaller than the typical 17-in. models.
The Asus M50S laptop
The M50S machine comes with the same processor selection but has a 15.4-in. widescreen display at either WXGA (1,366 by 768 pixels), WXGA+ or WSXGA+ (1,680 by 1,050 pixels) resolution.
- 2014 Healthcare Data Management Survey Summary This report provides insights into how much information Healthcare IT organizations are managing, the rate of data growth they are experiencing and which...
- State of Cloud Security Report In a relatively short time, cloud computing, specifically Infrastructure-as a-Service, has shifted from a new but unproven approach to an accepted, even inevitable,...
- What is this "File Sync" Thing and Why Should I Care About It? All of a sudden, getting a file from your work laptop to your iPad became as simple as clicking "Save." So it's no...
- Server and system administrators challenged to keep up with enterprise storage explosion Read this whitepaper to learn how administrators are leveraging their existing skills to simplify the management of storage and servers.
- Brunswick Moves Messaging and Collaboration to the IBM cloud Gerry Orten, Jr, Electronic Messaging Manager at Brunswick talks about why Brunswick moved to the IBM cloud.
- Increase Your Data Center IQ Discover how to improve network efficiency, lower IT costs and more proactively manage your physical, virtual and cloud environments. All Data Storage White Papers | Webcasts