Online holiday shopping up 19% from last year
Consumers spent nearly $28B through Dec. 27
Computerworld - Consumers spent nearly $28 billion online from Nov. 1 through Dec. 27, up 19% from the same time last year, according to according to comScore Inc.
However, warm weather in the early part of November caused online spending to stagnate a bit, keeping the growth rate to only 19%, which was below last year's growth rate of 26%, according to the statement.
Online holiday spending between Thanksgiving and Christmas was up 21% from the same period in 2006, according to comScore.
And even though the holiday shopping season is winding down, shoppers have continued to spend money online, according to comScore Chairman Gian Fulgoni.
On Dec. 26, consumers spent $545 million online, more than double what they spent on the same day last year, Fulgoni said.
"This would appear to indicate that consumers were willing and able to take advantage of the attractive late-season promotions and price discounts offered by retailers this year," Fulgoni said in the statement.
Read more about E-business in Computerworld's E-business Topic Center.
- Improving IT Efficiencies: Four Advantages of Multi-Tenant Data Centers Increasing demands on IT are forcing organizations to rethink their data center options. For many organizations, that means turning to the flexibility afforded...
- Server and System Admins Challenged to Keep Up with Storage Explosion Read this whitepaper to learn how administrators are leveraging their existing skills to simplify the management of storage and servers.
- A Modern Approach to the Data Deluge Read this whitepaper to learn how infrastructure leaders can confidently manage cost, complexity, and risk, capitalize on emerging technologies, and drive future innovation...
- Architects lead the next generation of data-driven applications Read this whitepaper to find out how application architects can quickly and confidently deliver long-lasting applications that minimize cost, complexity, and risk while...
- PST Archiving: What is it and How is it Done? Learn more about what PST data is, the risks relating to it, and how the new PST Archiving feature in the Simpana 10...
- HP DevOps KnowledgeVault This interactive resource focuses on the evolution taking place in the world of software development, specifically the Agile development framework, and the gap... All E-business White Papers | Webcasts
Computerworld has launched its annual search for outstanding IT leaders who align technology with business goals. Nominate a top IT executive for the 2015 Premier 100 IT Leaders awards now through July 18.