IBM's Atlas adds visualization tools to social networks at work
Atlas aims to help companies analyze, visualize content in social networks
Computerworld - IBM announced the availability today of a new corporate social networking visualization and analysis tool aimed at helping users better navigate their personal and corporate social networks.
IBM's Atlas for Lotus Connections will allow users to identify key experts in a company on specific topics, see how those people are connected and allow employees to seek new contacts through those they have already connected to in the Lotus Connections social networks, IBM said. Atlas is designed to work with Lotus Connections, a set of tools to build social networks that IBM launched in June.
"As people start using the social software and expanding out their networks ... there is a lot of value and information in the relationships between all that social data," said Chris Lamb, IBM's senior product manager of social software. "A good way to realize that value is to visualize it."
For example, a manager could use visualization to get a better view of the skills of employees, and a salesperson could use Atlas to quickly identify colleagues in a different division whose expertise or contacts could be useful for working with a customer.
One component, called Reach, is a social software dashboard that helps users navigate the "six degrees of separation" that divide them from a colleague, IBM noted. The dashboard will show users the shortest path to reach an expert based on the level of interaction across the network. An employee could easily surmise, for example, that a colleague with vital information on new product marketing is active in a marketing social community that also includes the first user's manager.
Another component of Atlas builds on the Connections corporate directory search function to include results based on social data like reporting structures, blogs and communities. Users can customize their searches based on location, corporate structure or degrees of separation.
"With Atlas now you can ... get a rank of those people based on the other social data they have put in the system," Lamb said. "This gives you a much higher level of trust that that is the right person to talk to."
Atlas is available now from IBM's services group.
Read more about Web Apps in Computerworld's Web Apps Topic Center.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Alert Logic for PCI DSS Compliance To achieve PCI DSS compliance, you must identify and remediate all critical vulnerabilities detected during PCI scans. Threat Manager streamlines this process by...
- Accelerating Network Convergence in Virtualized and Cloud Data Centers Adopting a converged networking strategy enables organizations to traffic server and storage I/O workloads on consolidated data throughput channels. Intelligent software helps optimize...
- How 10GbE Network is the Backbone of the Virtual Data Center The shift to a virtual data center has put tremendous strain on legacy networks; driving the need for more speed, lower latency, more...
- Live Webcast Best Practices for the Hyperconverged Enterprise Network To the Age of Constant Connectivity and Information overload
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Networking White Papers | Webcasts