Forrester lays out 10 reasons why IT shouldn't support the iPhone
Concerns about security, price, features trump popularity, ease of use
CIO - The Apple iPhone took the consumer mobile space by storm when it was released in June and quickly became one of the most popular smart phones available. Since then, business users who've purchased the device for their personal use have been asking their corporate IT departments to support it.
Whether the iPhone proves to be a valuable business tool or a nonissue for CIOs remains to be seen, but a new report from Forrester Research Inc. suggests that the iPhone may never get a chance to succeed in business. Forrester laid out 10 reasons IT departments should refuse to support the devices -- at least for now.
1. The iPhone Doesn't Allow Data to be Encrypted
There's currently no way for enterprises to secure sensitive data on iPhones through file or disk encryption, according to Forrester. There's also no way for IT to enforce password policies, since the decision to use a password -- and when to change it -- is up to the user.
2. The iPhone Does Not Natively Support "Push" Corporate E-mail or Wireless Calendar Syncing
Push e-mail that is delivered to handhelds upon receipt in a user's mailbox is an essential feature for a business device because of the productivity such a feature enables, Forrester said. If users need to physically retrieve messages -- instead of having those messages pushed directly to them -- they won't get them as quickly as possible, and they'll waste time in the process. The iPhone can sync with Microsoft Exchange and Lotus Notes over IMAP and SMTP, Forrester said, but IT infrastructure must be tweaked accordingly or a separate gateway product must be purchased -- and even then mail is delivered only every 15 minutes.
Apple's device also doesn't wirelessly sync with PCs, which means users must have access to the company's proprietary USB sync cable to retrieve calendar updates or contact changes, according to Forrester. If a meeting plan or location has been changed at the last minute, an iPhone user on the go could easily not get the notification in time.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Protection for Every Enterprise: How BlackBerry Security Works Get an IT-level review of BlackBerry® Security, addressing data leakage protection, certified encryption, containerization and much more.
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts