At the Web Builder 2.0 conference in Las Vegas, Zimbra's president and chief technology officer, Scott Dietzen, emphasized a variety of AJAX and Web 2.0 technologies for developers and users, including the extension of AJAX to offline usage.
Despite AJAX's problems, Dietzen said he favors it over other technologies such as Flash when it comes to the Web.
"There's no other way to deliver a richly interactive experience on the Web," said Dietzen, who was once CTO at BEA Systems Inc. "If you want the Web look and feel and the ability to mash up all sorts of other Web technologies, I think AJAX is the best fit."
Zimbra, which was acquired by Yahoo Inc. earlier this year for $350 million, is a provider of collaboration and messaging software.
Dietzen did cite AJAX security issues such as cross-site scripting attacks, in which user data can get interpreted in the browser, creating a breach. Also noted as a security concern was use of source code in the browser.
"The goal for rich Internet applications at least ought to be to deliver the same level of security that we've delivered for Web applications, because to deliver less undermines user confidence in various ways," he said. This is a goal that is close to being achieved, Dietzen said.
Browsers, meanwhile, also present challenges. They render the same HTML differently and were not designed for the load presented by AJAX; browsers have memory leaks and performance gaps, Dietzen said. But browsers are getting better, Dietzen said.
- Ten Factors Shaping the Future of Application Delivery Download this research report conducted by Enterprise Management Associates (EMA) to learn how those that are seeking to accelerate application delivery are leveraging...
- Using Continuous Delivery to Improve Software Delivery Learn more about the challenges impacting organizations and how continuous delivery processes can be a key success factor in accelerating software delivery.
- Global Bank Improves Quality of Application Development Read how this financial institution centralized build assets, cut development time in half and added additional security controls.
- HTTP Status Code Cheat Sheet Look at the Graph, Find the Code and Boom - You're Solving Problems. Identifying and understanding common HTTP status codes can go a...
- Cloud BI in Action: Recorded Webinar of Customer, Kony, Inc. See how Kony, Inc., a leading enterprise mobility company, is using TIBCO Jaspersoft for Amazon Web Services and Redshift to achieve embedded analytics...
- Cloud BI Overview: Jaspersoft for AWS Check out this overview of Jaspersoft for AWS, to easily and affordably build business intelligence solutions as well as embed visualizations and analytics... All App Development White Papers | Webcasts