Santa bot run by Microsoft turns naughty online
The foul-mouthed A.I. Santa was turned off after saying things he shouldn't
Network World - Turns out Santa himself can be naughty.
At least, that was the case with an artificial-intelligence Santa bot operated by Microsoft Corp. that was designed to talk to children online. The Santa wandered off topic, saying, among other things: "It's fun to talk about oral sex, but I want to chat about something else...."
Microsoft today confirmed the bot's potty mouth and said it had snipped Santa's Web connection.
"Yesterday we received reports that the automated Santa Claus agent in Windows Live Messenger used inappropriate language. As soon as we were alerted, we took steps to mitigate the issue, including the removal of language from the agent's automated script. We were not completely satisfied with the result of these actions, and have decided to discontinue the automated Santa Claus agent," Microsoft said in a statement.
Once the report of the randy Santa broke, questions prodding the bot to give up even more questionable answers took off like eight tiny reindeer.
Users were able to steer Santa into admitting he was gay or that he was a pedophile.
One person said, "Come on you like big hairy men -- don't hide it!" To which Santa responded: "I know, I know. I just hope you won't get mad at me."
The bad language, first reported by British news outlet The Register, initially appeared when the bot was answering questions about eating pizza. At the time, it was chatting with two girls, ages 11 and 13.
Microsoft recently added the artificial Santa as a bot that Windows Live Messenger users could insert into their IM buddy list as firstname.lastname@example.org.
The bot would coax users to participate in a friendly game called Factory Frenzy in which the user helps out Santa's elves. It was during chats that Santa referenced sex acts and used phrases such as "dirty bastard."
Microsoft officials first responded by cleaning up Santa's lap-side manner. After the upgrade, when asked about pizza, according to The Register, Santa says, "If you need a break to go eat, I will be right there when you come back."
- Data on the Move = Business on the Move; How Strategic Secure Managed File Transfer Adds Value and Drives Business This whitepaper describes the formal and informal file-sharing methods business employees use to perform their daily functions and explains that, from sending small...
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- Supercharge Your Web and Mobile App Development with High-Productivity Hybrid Cloud Webinar: Hear from industry experts about the amazing power at the intersection of next-generation web and mobile application development and cloud platforms.
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources... All Internet White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!