Zander out as CEO at Motorola
CEO to be replaced by company's operations head
In the statement, Zander said next year marks his 40th year in the technology industry, adding, "This is the right time for me to move on to the next phase in my life and spend more time with my family."
He said working at Motorola for the past four years has been "a wonderful experience."
Jeff Kagan, an independent analyst in Atlanta, said Zander's departure is based on having succeeded only partially as CEO of a major technology company in the midst of major industry changes, where a technology manufacturing company needs to be led more like a fashion design company. "Ed Zander came from Sun Microsystems to turn Motorola around and was somewhat successful, but that success did not continue," Kagan said in an e-mail.
Zander's "big mistake was thinking that the single success of the Razr phone was enough," Kagan added. "It was not. The Razr may have been hot, but Motorola needed to replace it with another hot phone. Instead, they rode it up and rode it back down again."
Kagan said the cell phone industry "moves quickly" like the fashion industry. "What is hot today will not be hot next year," he said. "Motorola, like a top fashion designer, needs to think about what's next because what is hot today is only for today."Prior to joining Motorola in January 2004, Zander was managing director at Silver Lake Partners, a technology investment company. Prior to that post, he was chief operating officer at Sun, where he worked from 1987 to 2002, serving in various positions, including president of Sun's computer and software divisions. He also held senior positions at Apollo Computer and Data General. Zander received his B.S. degree in electrical engineering from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute and a master's degree in business administration from Boston University.
Read more about Management in Computerworld's Management Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Protection for Every Enterprise: How BlackBerry Security Works Get an IT-level review of BlackBerry® Security, addressing data leakage protection, certified encryption, containerization and much more.
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts