Verizon Wireless plans LTE trial for next year
Move makes the carrier's 4G direction official
Computerworld - Verizon Wireless today picked Long Term Evolution (LTE) as its fourth-generation wireless technology, and said it would start trials next year.
Company officials have been suggesting this direction for two months or longer, but made it official today, a spokesman said.
Provisioning for LTE expands on Tuesday's news of an open-access Verizon Wireless network that will have the capacity to handle new devices and applications, company spokesman Tom Pica added. "It's like the couple that assumes they are getting married until one of them actually pops the question," Pica said.
A coordinated trial plan for LTE will begin in 2008, with a number of trial suppliers, including Alcatel-Lucent, Ericsson, Motorola, Nokia Siemens and Nortel Networks, the company said. Verizon Communications Inc. and Vodafone jointly own U.S-based Verizon Wireless, with nearly 64 million customers.
LTE, which is based on IP, is designed to provide download speeds of 100Mbit/sec. and uploads speeds half as fast, according to a variety of analysts and sources. The spokesman said the speeds would range in the 10s of Mbit/sec. Currently, Verizon uses CDMA and EV-DO networks.
Vodafone today also said it is conducting a joint engineering trial of LTE, which it would build atop its third-generation high-speed packet access network technology. In September, Vodafone said it could offer LTE commercially in 2010, but that a common platform with Verizon might not happen until 2015.
Read more about Mobile/Wireless in Computerworld's Mobile/Wireless Topic Center.
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Keeping UP with Mobile Trendsetters Global survey tracks achievements and challenges of mobile initiatives along with best practices for success.
- Assessing ROI for Mobile Acceleration Clients This EMA® paper examines the business case for deploying mobile WAN optimization client software and builds a ROI model based on the experiences...
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!