Unlocked French iPhones on sale for $1,106
France beats Germany in the iPhone price war
Computerworld - France Telecom set the price for an unlocked iPhone Wednesday at €749-- squarely in the middle of the range its CEO spelled out on Tuesday -- as it started selling the iconic Apple Inc. smart phone throughout France.
The company's Orange mobile subsidiary, Apple's exclusive provider partner in France, is selling iPhones able to connect to other carriers for €749 ($1,106) when customers decline to sign a 12- or 24-month service contract.
On Tuesday, France Telecom CEO Didier Lombard had promised Orange would sell unlocked iPhones at "significantly lower" prices than the €999 (about $1,475) that rival T-Mobile charges its customers in Germany. The official price tag is right in the middle of the €500 to €1000 range Lombard quoted yesterday.
Orange priced the iPhone at €399 ($589) when purchased with a service plan, dubbed tariffs in Europe. Orange offers plans ranging in price from €49 to €119 per month ($72-$176), which include between 120 and 480 minutes. For an additional €100 ($148), Orange will unlock any locked iPhone, including those previously purchased with a 12- or 24-month contract.
Current Orange customers can purchase an iPhone without extending their existing contract, but the price jumps to €549 ($811), said the company.
Only Orange in France and T-Mobile GmbH in Germany are currently selling iPhones unlocked out of the box. T-Mobile, owned by Deutsche Telekom AG, began offering unlocked iPhones for €999 (about $1,471) after a German court ruled in favor of rival Vodafone Group PLC, which had filed a lawsuit in Hamburg demanding that T-Mobile open the iPhone to other carriers.
IPhone buyers in the U.S. and the U.K. have resorted to applying free or for-a-fee hacks to open their phones. According to comments made in late October by Apple executives, approximately 250,000 of the 1.4 million iPhones sold in the U.S. had not been registered with AT&T Inc., and had presumably been unlocked instead by their owners.
Related Articles and Opinion
Read more about Macintosh in Computerworld's Macintosh Topic Center.
- An Insightful Approach to Optimizing Mainframe MLC Spend This paper discusses how you can penetrate the complexity of IBM mainframe MLC products and the MLC price model to gain insight into...
- Meeting the Exploding Demand for New IT Services In this eBook, explore the top trends driving the New IT for IT Service Management, and how leading organizations are evolving to focus...
- Hybrid IT-A Low-Risk Path from On-Premise to ITaaS This white paper provides a strategy to move part or all of your ITSM suite to the cloud as a stepping stone to...
- Paving the Windows XP Migration Path to Success Support for Windows XP has ended, leaving organizations with three choices: Windows 8, Windows 7 or a combination. With the right planning and...
- Increase Your Data Center IQ Discover how to improve network efficiency, lower IT costs and more proactively manage your physical, virtual and cloud environments.
- Optimize Data Center Resources and Plan for the Future Eliminate over-provisioning and capacity shortfalls with pro-active capacity optimization. Join us in the evolution from capacity monitoring to capacity optimization in your data... All Hardware White Papers | Webcasts