Microsoft adds iPhone, iPod sync to Office 2008
PowerPoint 2008 catches up to Apple's Keynote '08 in sync skills
Computerworld - Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac will let users port PowerPoint presentations to iPhones and video-equipped iPods, Microsoft Corp. said yesterday as it unveiled the latest details of the suite scheduled to ship in January.
PowerPoint 2008, the presentation maker included in the bundle, can export creations as a series of pictures -- but not video -- to iPhoto '06 and later. Alternately, users can save the slides to the Mac's Pictures folder.
"From there, sync pictures to your iPod or iPhone through iTunes as usual, then use the built-in photos or slide-show program on your iPod or iPhone to show your presentation," said Blair Neumann, a program manager in Microsoft's Mac development group, in a post to the team's blog Tuesday. IPhones and iPods that boast video viewing -- the iPod touch, the newest iPod nano and the iPod classic -- can also connect to a larger screen television or a projector using Apple's $49 component AV cable.
Apple Inc.'s own Keynote presentation maker, one of the three applications in the $79 iWork '08 suite, can also export its slide shows to iTunes. From there, Keynote presentations can be synced to iPods or iPhones.
Microsoft will release Office 2008 for Mac on Jan. 15 at the Macworld Conference & Expo in San Francisco in several editions priced from $150 to $500.
Read more about Mobile/Wireless in Computerworld's Mobile/Wireless Topic Center.
- Assessing ROI for Mobile Acceleration Clients This EMA® paper examines the business case for deploying mobile WAN optimization client software and builds a ROI model based on the experiences...
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!