InfoWorld - With the first anniversary of open-source Java this week, a Sun Microsystems Inc. official said he believes the project could bear a sought-after fruit in the Java community: the porting of Java to Apple Inc.'s iPhone.
Apple has not made Java capable of running on the popular device. But Sun's Terrence Barr, technical evangelist for Java ME (Micro Edition), believes Apple's plans to release a software developer's kit for iPhone in early 2008 may result in the open-source phoneME version of Java ME winding up on iPhone.
"It is quite likely that people will start porting phoneME to the iPhone to provide Java that way. I expect that to happen as a community effort," Barr said.
Java developers have clamored for Java on the iPhone, an effort that Sun has said would enable many Java applications to run on the device. But Apple has been dismissive of having Java on the iPhone. Apple could not be reached for comment last week.
Meanwhile, Sun officials lauded the progress of open-source Java after one year and said the effort has not resulted in any forking: No versions of Java have shown up that are incompatible with the main platform.
Developers "want this stuff to be compatible," said Rich Sands, community marketing manager for Java Platform Standard Edition at Sun.
From the May release of the Java Development Kit via the OpenJDK open-source project, the entire base of more than 6.5 million lines of code has been downloaded 12,677 times as of Oct. 27.
Sun chose GNU General Public License version 2 (GPLv2) for OpenJDK in November 2006. This was considered an unusual choice at the time because Sun had its own Common Development and Distribution License for open source. But GPLv2 discouraged forking and encouraged compatibility, Sands said.
About 96% of Java has been released as open source, with the remaining 4% encumbered and released only as binaries. That 4% included some graphics libraries and encryption libraries. The IcedTea project, launched by the Red Hat Fedora community, aims to fill out the remainder of the JDK with free, compatible software, Sands said. Sun officials cited Red Hat Inc.'s joining the OpenJDK community last week.
"The big picture for OpenJDK is that in one year's time, we have built a community. We have seen tremendous interest on the part of the free and open-source developers to join with us and work with us. We've seen several Linux distributions pick this up, and that's what IcedTea is about," Sands said.
Developers soon will be able to use the Mercurial source code system to manage the Java code.
- HTTP Status Code Cheat Sheet Look at the Graph, Find the Code and Boom - You're Solving Problems. Identifying and understanding common HTTP status codes can go a...
- 10 Steps to Application and Network Performance Nirvana 10 simple steps that network operations teams can take to ensure that applications and underlying infrastructure can both be tuned for maximum performance.
- Application Performance Management for Dummies Application performance management helps deliver the application performance users and the business demand. Effectively monitoring and troubleshooting application performance issues requires a comprehensive...
- IDC Report: Optimize IT and Business Gains This IDC Whitepaper outlines how CIOs can understand what the "total cost of data" is across their entire organization and how Delphix can...
- API Management: The Key to Improving the Consumer Travel Experience Join PhoCusWright's Senior Technology Analyst, Norm Rose, as he shares his insights on how travel suppliers and intermediaries can improve industry data flow...
- Tips to Simplify Database Administration and Development Make your job easier while getting the most from the leading productivity tool for database professionals. Learn tips from Dell Software's Oracle® ACE,... All App Development White Papers | Webcasts