IDG News Service - China Mobile Ltd. is in talks with Apple Inc. to sell the iPhone in China, the company's CEO said on Tuesday. But he's not keen on the type of revenue-sharing model that Apple has insisted on elsewhere in the world.
"Our customers like this kind of fashionable product," said China Mobile CEO Wang Jianzhou, on the sidelines of the GSM Association's Mobile Asia Congress in Macau.
But in a speech at the conference, Wang said he doesn't like some of the new business models emerging in the mobile phone industry, including handset makers wanting to share revenue with mobile operators.
"We still think we can maintain the operator-centric model because we have the customers, the end users," Wang said.
Apple has been signing exclusive deals with operators to sell its iPhone, including O2 Ltd. in the U.K. and AT&T Inc. in the U.S. As part of the deal, Apple requires the operators to pay it a portion of their iPhone subscriber revenue.
Apple has said it will roll out iPhones in Asia next year, and China Mobile would be a good catch for the company. It is one of the world's largest mobile operators, boasting almost 350 million subscribers at the end of September.
However, China Mobile is also a member of Google Inc.'s Open Handset Alliance, a consortium of technology and service companies that will develop products based on Google's Android mobile phone platform, which will compete with the iPhone.
Wang took a shot at today's music-playing phones. When phone makers add music players to their handsets, they tend to end up with a good phone and a bad music player, he said, and vice versa for makers of music players.
The idea of connecting a mobile phone to a computer to download music is also undesirable, he said. Mobile phones should download music directly from the mobile network, he said.
China Mobile has already had some success with its own mobile music service. Over 60 million people are using the service, and over 240 million music ring tones have been downloaded, he said.
- Assessing ROI for Mobile Acceleration Clients This EMA® paper examines the business case for deploying mobile WAN optimization client software and builds a ROI model based on the experiences...
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!