IDG News Service - China Mobile Ltd. is in talks with Apple Inc. to sell the iPhone in China, the company's CEO said on Tuesday. But he's not keen on the type of revenue-sharing model that Apple has insisted on elsewhere in the world.
"Our customers like this kind of fashionable product," said China Mobile CEO Wang Jianzhou, on the sidelines of the GSM Association's Mobile Asia Congress in Macau.
But in a speech at the conference, Wang said he doesn't like some of the new business models emerging in the mobile phone industry, including handset makers wanting to share revenue with mobile operators.
"We still think we can maintain the operator-centric model because we have the customers, the end users," Wang said.
Apple has been signing exclusive deals with operators to sell its iPhone, including O2 Ltd. in the U.K. and AT&T Inc. in the U.S. As part of the deal, Apple requires the operators to pay it a portion of their iPhone subscriber revenue.
Apple has said it will roll out iPhones in Asia next year, and China Mobile would be a good catch for the company. It is one of the world's largest mobile operators, boasting almost 350 million subscribers at the end of September.
However, China Mobile is also a member of Google Inc.'s Open Handset Alliance, a consortium of technology and service companies that will develop products based on Google's Android mobile phone platform, which will compete with the iPhone.
Wang took a shot at today's music-playing phones. When phone makers add music players to their handsets, they tend to end up with a good phone and a bad music player, he said, and vice versa for makers of music players.
The idea of connecting a mobile phone to a computer to download music is also undesirable, he said. Mobile phones should download music directly from the mobile network, he said.
China Mobile has already had some success with its own mobile music service. Over 60 million people are using the service, and over 240 million music ring tones have been downloaded, he said.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Protection for Every Enterprise: How BlackBerry Security Works Get an IT-level review of BlackBerry® Security, addressing data leakage protection, certified encryption, containerization and much more.
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts