Oracle's Phillips: Our software is integrated but open
Exec says vendor aims to offer best of breed, unified and extensible products -- all at once
IDG News Service - SAN FRANCISCO -- Oracle Corp. President Charles Phillips showcased a raft of new technologies today -- chief among them a server virtualization offering called Oracle VM -- during the opening keynote at the company's OpenWorld 2007 conference here.
Phillips, one of the software vendor's two presidents, repeatedly said that Oracle's aim is to create "best of breed" applications that are integrated into a unified product stack yet are based on open standards and therefore can be extended by users.
"Instead of having proprietary integration, we wanted an open middleware stack," Phillips said. In an apparent reference to business applications archrival SAP AG, he added that Oracle even wants to help its customers integrate its software with "third-party applications made in Germany, for instance, if that's needed."
During the keynote session, Phillips and other speakers detailed a range of new products, including Oracle VM (download FAQ). The virtualization software supports Linux and Windows guest servers and is based on the Xen open-source hypervisor, to which Oracle has added a Web-based management console. The company plans to make Oracle VM available on Wednesday as a free download, while charging for support.
Among the other products announced today is the Application Integration Architecture Foundation Pack, which contains tools that customers can use to model composite business processes that straddle multiple applications. Oracle also introduced a trio of "process integration packs" for users in the communications industry; the packs provide prebuilt connectors between its Oracle Financials and Siebel CRM software, as well as billing and revenue management applications for communications vendors.
- Five Steps to Achieve Success in your Application Security Program This white paper provides a general framework your organization can use to create or build upon an application security program. It includes guidelines...
- Unlock the Value of Enterprise Mobility Download this guide and learn how to manage the secure deployment of enterprise mobile apps and data, while still encouraging the levels of...
- Rebranded Quadmark revamps its IT solutions with Google Apps Switching to Google Apps halved Quadmark's IT admin costs while achieving 10% time savings per employee. The global consulting firm now spends 80%...
- Manufacturing Outlook: Improving time to market, operational effectiveness and innovation in a highly competitive environment An enterprise project portfolio management solution can help manufacturers position themselves in the new competitive landscape.
- Live Webcast
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
- Video Stream Quality Impacts Viewer Behavior This scientific white paper, using statistical data from Amakai's streaming network, analyzes how changes in video quality cause changes in viewer behavior.
- Service-Enabling CICS Applications: Best Practices This informative webcast provides an informed, thorough look into CICS service-enablement options and how they can affect your environment. You'll learn how to... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts