Exploit code out for Oracle Database 10g vulnerability
Company says it has a fix, but won't release patch until January
Computerworld - With exploit code in circulation and no patch available for a buffer-overflow bug, Oracle Corp.'s flagship database software is open to attack, security researchers said today.
The vulnerability was first disclosed yesterday by VeriSign Inc.'s iDefense Labs, which issued an advisory outlining the flaw in Oracle Database 10gR2. Earlier versions of the enterprise database software may also be at risk, iDefense cautioned.
Today, Symantec Corp. followed with a warning to customers of its DeepSight threat management system. "The issue affects the 'OWNER' and the 'NAME' parameters of the 'XDB.XDB_PITRIG_PKG.PITRIG_DROP
METADATA' procedure," said Symantec. "Specifically, if the combined length of both parameters is excessively large, a buffer will overflow when constructing a SQL query."
An attack requires authentication to the database, but assuming that, a successful exploit could execute code remotely. Proof-of-concept exploit code was posted on the Internet last Friday.
Oracle claimed it has quashed the bug in the Database 10g code, but it will not issue a patch until the next quarterly update -- dubbed Critical Patch Update, or CPU -- scheduled for Jan. 15, 2008, both iDefense and Symantec reported.
Because there are no work-arounds available in the interim, Symantec recommended that users deploy network intrusion-detection systems to monitor traffic for malicious activity, and allow only trusted employees to access the database.
Read more about Security in Computerworld's Security Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- Mobile Policy Checklist Here's what to consider when putting together a mobile policy designed to support a highly productive workforce.
- Securing BYOD Mobile computing is becoming so ubiquitous that people no longer bat an eye seeing someone working two devices simultaneously. Individuals and organizations are...
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Endpoint Backup & Restore: Protect Everyone, Everywhere Arek Sokol from the bleeding-edge IT team at Genentech/Roche explains how he leverages cross-platform enterprise endpoint backup in the public cloud as part...
- Streamline Software Asset Management, Compose a software Management Symphony Keeping track of your organization's software is easy with effective software management solutions from CDW. View the videos in our software solutions channel
- Druva inSync: Endpoint Data Protection & Governance CLICK HERE to watch this video about protecting corporate data on laptops and mobile devices, sponsored by Druva. All Security White Papers | Webcasts