2007 Jobs Report Snapshots
Highlights and key statistics from Computerworld's 21st annual Jobs Report Survey of IT professionals.
SALARY SURVEY DATA
July 2007; 9,290 RESPONSES
IT salaries have risen at a slow but steady pace since hitting rock-bottom in 2002. Here are the IT pay raises from 1987 to 2007, as reported in Computerworld’s annual Salary Survey:
The salary shift year to year is small, but 3% more respondents received a salary increase this year compared with 2006.
- Across the board, salaries increased slightly in 2007, by 3.7%
- Senior managers saw an increase of 4%.
- Middle managers saw an increase of 3.7%.
- IT staffers had an average salary increase of 3.6%. (Base: 5,113)
Seventy-five percent of respondents reported that their base salary had increased from one year ago. The average increase was 7%. Eighteen percent reported no change in base salary. Seven percent reported a decrease in salary. The average decrease was 8%.
- Across the board, bonuses increased slightly in 2007, by 3.4%.
- Senior managers saw an increase of 4.6%.
- Middle managers saw an increase of 2.6%.
- IT staffers saw an increase of 2.6%.
Bonuses are creeping up steadily:
- 2004: 1% increase in bonuses
- 2005: 2.8% increase in bonuses
- 2006: 3.2% increase in bonuses
- 2007: 3.4% increase in bonuses
Note: Percentages are based on IT workers employed full time or part time in an IT department.
WHERE'S THE MIDDLE?
The 2007 median annual base salary is $80,000 (half the salaries are above the median, and half are below). For senior management, the median annual base salary is $115,000; for middle management, it’s $88,000; and for staff/technical positions, it’s $70,000.
The median base salaries by region are as follows:
- Pacific: $89,000
- New England: $84,750
- Middle Atlantic: $84,000
- South Atlantic: $84,000
- Mountain: $80,000
- North Central: $76,000
- South Central: $75,000
In Depth: IT Salaries on the Rise
- The New IT Explore enhanced productivity for IT staff, and seamless integration across IT operation management systems. Download now.
- Cloud Computing Drives IT and Business Agility Hybrid Cloud Accelerates Time to Value What is the main focus for IT in your organization - cost or agility? Many IT discussions today focus on cost controls rather...
- Infographic:10 Reasons to Choose vCloud Air Looking to create an agile, productive, and efficient IT environment? Read this simple infographic to learn about the benefits that VMware vCloud® Air™...
- Data Visualization Techniques: From Basics to Big Data with SAS Visual Analytics This paper discusses some of the basic issues concerning data visualization, from data size and column composition, to solving unique challenges presented by...
- Bringing software licenses into compliance A hospital group received a software license audit, so they called in CDW to help define and manage their software licensing status.
- Cloud BI in Action: Recorded Webinar of Customer, Kony, Inc. See how Kony, Inc., a leading enterprise mobility company, is using TIBCO Jaspersoft for Amazon Web Services and Redshift to achieve embedded analytics... All IT Careers White Papers | Webcasts
Our 28th annual survey results show which IT skills are in high demand and which are cooling off. Also, see how your salary stacks up to peers' with our Smart Salary Tool.