2007 Jobs Report Snapshots
Highlights and key statistics from Computerworld's 21st annual Jobs Report Survey of IT professionals.
SALARY SURVEY DATA
July 2007; 9,290 RESPONSES
IT salaries have risen at a slow but steady pace since hitting rock-bottom in 2002. Here are the IT pay raises from 1987 to 2007, as reported in Computerworld’s annual Salary Survey:
The salary shift year to year is small, but 3% more respondents received a salary increase this year compared with 2006.
- Across the board, salaries increased slightly in 2007, by 3.7%
- Senior managers saw an increase of 4%.
- Middle managers saw an increase of 3.7%.
- IT staffers had an average salary increase of 3.6%. (Base: 5,113)
Seventy-five percent of respondents reported that their base salary had increased from one year ago. The average increase was 7%. Eighteen percent reported no change in base salary. Seven percent reported a decrease in salary. The average decrease was 8%.
- Across the board, bonuses increased slightly in 2007, by 3.4%.
- Senior managers saw an increase of 4.6%.
- Middle managers saw an increase of 2.6%.
- IT staffers saw an increase of 2.6%.
Bonuses are creeping up steadily:
- 2004: 1% increase in bonuses
- 2005: 2.8% increase in bonuses
- 2006: 3.2% increase in bonuses
- 2007: 3.4% increase in bonuses
Note: Percentages are based on IT workers employed full time or part time in an IT department.
WHERE'S THE MIDDLE?
The 2007 median annual base salary is $80,000 (half the salaries are above the median, and half are below). For senior management, the median annual base salary is $115,000; for middle management, it’s $88,000; and for staff/technical positions, it’s $70,000.
The median base salaries by region are as follows:
- Pacific: $89,000
- New England: $84,750
- Middle Atlantic: $84,000
- South Atlantic: $84,000
- Mountain: $80,000
- North Central: $76,000
- South Central: $75,000
In Depth: IT Salaries on the Rise
- 2014 IT Workplace Trends and Salary Guide Staying competitive in the IT market can be challenging. This guide provides you with insight into variety of IT workplace trends including, U.S....
- The Truth About Virtual Computing for CAD If you're a user of graphics-intensive software such as 3D modeling, simulation and analysis, and visualization, you might be skeptical about moving to...
- Going Paperless? Here's What You Need to Think About As makers of some of the world's most popular PDF solutions, we often consult with businesses & governmental agencies that have the goal...
- ESG Lab Report: Virident FlashMAX Connect Performance Advantage with vCache on a single Oracle instance View Now>>
- What should I look for in a Next Generation Firewall? SANS Provides Guidance With so many vendors claiming to have a Next Generation Firewall (NGFW), it can be difficult to tell what makes each one different....
- Why Are Customers Really Deploying an NGFW? It seems every IT Security expert is talking about the NGFW, but what are people really doing? This webcast covers 5 real-world customer... All IT Careers White Papers | Webcasts
Our 28th annual survey results show which IT skills are in high demand and which are cooling off. Also, see how your salary stacks up to peers' with our Smart Salary Tool.