MySpace adds Skype VOIP to popular social network
Agreement with Skype lets MySpace users make free Internet calls to each other
The pair rolled out MySpaceIM With Skype, a new product that integrates MySpace's instant messaging client - which now has 25 million registered users - with Skype's free telephone service, allowing MySpace clients to make free internet calls to MySpace or Skype users.
Under the partnership, users also will be able to link their MySpace profiles, avatars and photos to their accounts on Skype.
The new capabilities will be available in November. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.
Adding Skype voice services to MySpace's IM system will not require MySpace users to download additional Skype software.
In a statement, Chris DeWolfe, co-founder and CEO of MySpace, called the MySpaceIM With Skype offering a "truly groundbreaking product integration and partnership."
"Our network has no geographical boundaries - Internet calling is the natural next step for how our members communicate with each other," he said.
Skype users globally will be able to link their Skype accounts to MySpace profiles in every country but Japan, China and Taiwan, the companies said.
MySpace officials also noted that the agreement allows MySpace users to access Skype's fee-based products, including voice mail services and the ability to use landlines and cell phones.
The new product will take advantage of the personal privacy settings available in MySpace, which limits calls to to friends lists. Users also can opt to allow only those people they have added to their Skype personal contact list to call them.
Related News and Discussion:
- Why Skype and Vonage must die
- How dangerous is Skype?
- Don't Believe the Hype: The 21 Biggest Technology Flops
- The 8 most dangerous consumer technologies
Read more about Web Apps in Computerworld's Web Apps Topic Center.
- Six Ways Your Small Business Can Save with Internet Phone Service Traditional phone systems present two main problems for businesses: limited features and high costs. As a result, small businesses are migrating to Internet...
- Face Time Anytime Real-time communications facilitates team collaboration from nearly anywhere in the world. With facts and figures you can use to justify an investment
- Now is the time to implement a video conference solution Video conferencing is getting a lot of buzz lately due to the recent cost decrease, making it tangible for many law firms. It's...
- Video drives engagement Achieving maximum results means building a solid platform and network infrastructure. As digital age unfolds, it's clear that the ability to communicate effectively...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy... All Web Apps White Papers | Webcasts