MySpace adds Skype VOIP to popular social network
Agreement with Skype lets MySpace users make free Internet calls to each other
The pair rolled out MySpaceIM With Skype, a new product that integrates MySpace's instant messaging client - which now has 25 million registered users - with Skype's free telephone service, allowing MySpace clients to make free internet calls to MySpace or Skype users.
Under the partnership, users also will be able to link their MySpace profiles, avatars and photos to their accounts on Skype.
The new capabilities will be available in November. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.
Adding Skype voice services to MySpace's IM system will not require MySpace users to download additional Skype software.
In a statement, Chris DeWolfe, co-founder and CEO of MySpace, called the MySpaceIM With Skype offering a "truly groundbreaking product integration and partnership."
"Our network has no geographical boundaries - Internet calling is the natural next step for how our members communicate with each other," he said.
Skype users globally will be able to link their Skype accounts to MySpace profiles in every country but Japan, China and Taiwan, the companies said.
MySpace officials also noted that the agreement allows MySpace users to access Skype's fee-based products, including voice mail services and the ability to use landlines and cell phones.
The new product will take advantage of the personal privacy settings available in MySpace, which limits calls to to friends lists. Users also can opt to allow only those people they have added to their Skype personal contact list to call them.
Related News and Discussion:
- Why Skype and Vonage must die
- How dangerous is Skype?
- Don't Believe the Hype: The 21 Biggest Technology Flops
- The 8 most dangerous consumer technologies
Read more about Web Apps in Computerworld's Web Apps Topic Center.
- How Network Connections Drive Web Application Performance Users around the globe, on all sorts of devices, expect Web applications to function as seamlessly as desktop applications. This paper discusses the...
- Enable secure remote access to 3D data without sacrificing visual perfomance Design and manufacturing companies must adapt quickly to the demands of an increasingly global and competitive economy. To speed time to market for...
- The Truth About Virtual Computing for CAD If you're a user of graphics-intensive software such as 3D modeling, simulation and analysis, and visualization, you might be skeptical about moving to...
- Virtually Delivered High Performance 3D Graphics "A picture is worth a thousand words." That old phrase is as true today as it ever was. Pictures (i.e., those with heavy...
- What should I look for in a Next Generation Firewall? SANS Provides Guidance With so many vendors claiming to have a Next Generation Firewall (NGFW), it can be difficult to tell what makes each one different....
- Why Are Customers Really Deploying an NGFW? It seems every IT Security expert is talking about the NGFW, but what are people really doing? This webcast covers 5 real-world customer... All Web Apps White Papers | Webcasts