Google updates Analytics service, unveils Urchin beta
Google Analytics adds internal search; Urchin update aimed at disgruntled users
Computerworld - Google Inc. is set to roll out new features to its Google Analytics service and beta of a new version of the Web analytics server software from its acquisition of Urchin Software two-and-a-half years ago.
Google Tuesday is set to announce that site search and event tracking features will be added to its Google Analytics software within the next few weeks.
The site search tool is designed to apply Google-like features to searches of internal Web sites, said Brett Crosby, senior manager of Google Analytics. The search tool will allow Web site operators to identify keywords, categories, products and trends across time and user segments to help companies measure the effectiveness of the site and marketing efforts, he added.
"We see that as a gold mine of data," Crosby said. "Every one of those searches is basically a vote by your visitors telling you what they are looking for on your Web site. You can start to get an idea beyond just what is driving people to your site, what they are looking for when they are already there. If you're not providing people the results they are looking for, they are off to another Web site."
Site searches also track internal search patters to determine how searches affect site usage, e-commerce activities and conversion rates. The new feature works with Google Custom Search, Google Search Appliance, Google Mini and many non-Google site search products, Crosby said.
The availability of a limited beta version of an update to Google's packaged Urchin analytics software is also slated to be announced today. The update includes a new Google Analytics user interface, Crosby noted.
In recent weeks, some Urchin users have complained about delays in releasing Version 6 of Urchin, contending that Google appears to be focusing more on Google Analytics than Urchin. Crosby acknowledged that the update to Version 5 aims to appease those users.
The update to Version 5 includes tools to assist in migrating configurations and data from previous versions of Urchin, Google said. Current Urchin users with advanced support programs can get the upgrade to Urchin Software for free, Crosby noted. Version 5 users without advanced support are eligible for discounts, he added.
For new users, Version 5 with the updates is priced at $2,995 for new users, Crosby said.
Read more about Business Intelligence/Analytics in Computerworld's Business Intelligence/Analytics Topic Center.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The value of smarter oil and gas fields With global energy requirements continuing to rise, the exploration, development and production of new oil and gas resources are shifting to increasingly challenging...
- Smarter Environmental Analytics Solutions: Offshore Oil and Gas Installations Example This IBM Redbooks® Solution Guide describes a solution for implementing smarter environmental monitoring and analytics for oil and gas industries. The solution implements...
- Piecing Together the Business Intelligence Puzzle Business intelligence (BI) technology collects and analyzes company data, delivering relevant information to corporate decision-makers in an effort to produce favorable outcomes.
- Harness IT -- An Introduction to Business Intelligence Solutions Learn the key selection criteria required to provide your organization with the capability to address structured data, unstructured data and mobile demands so...
- Live Webcast Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing...
- The Software-Defined Data Center: Is your ADC ready? Data center transformation is accelerating beyond virtualization to next-generation cloud architectures and software-defined data centers, bringing new challenges for application performance, scalability and...
- Application Acceleration: Optimize the End-User Experience Watch this on-demand webcast and learn how you can optimize your web content, accelerate performance across any device and browser combination, and offload... All Business Intelligence/Analytics White Papers | Webcasts