IDG News Service - People using Google Inc.'s Gmail service are sucking up storage space faster than the company can add it.
Google said on Friday it is speeding up the rate at which it adds storage space for its Gmail Web-based e-mail service due to the increased storage requirements for attachments such as photos.
"A few of you are using Gmail so much that you're running out of space, so to make good on our promise, today we're announcing we are speeding up our counter and giving out more free storage," wrote Rob Siemborski, a Google engineer on the Gmail blog.
On Friday, the counter on the Gmail login page stood at more than 2,935MB, or about 2.9GB, of storage, and was rising, but the counter is an illustration rather than a hard limit.
Google started gradually increasing Gmail storage in April 2005 when the service turned one year old. Google's Gmail was immediately popular when it launched in 2004, offering free accounts with 1GB of storage, but this year has been surpassed by its rivals.
Microsoft Corp. upped its free storage limit for its Windows Live Hotmail service to 5GB in August, and Yahoo Inc. started offered "unlimited" storage in May.
Related News and Discussion:
- Google starts charging for extra storage
- Google looks for tighter link between Gmail and Docs
- Daily IT Blogwatch: Goooooogle Caaalendaaar (and choccy bunny)
- Daily IT Blogwatch: Yahoo! promises! unlimited! email! storage! (and the world)
- Shark Bait: Strange email notifications
- Pivotal Melds Big Data and Platform-as-a-service The value of Information has increased, so has the business's thirst for more information. Access to data and collaboration are at the heart...
- The Pivotal Big Data Suite- Reducing the Risks of Big Data The explosion of big data and the rapid evolution of big data tools and technologies is challenging IT to meet the demands of...
- The Principles of the Business Data Lake The Business Data Lake is a new approach to information management, analytics and reporting that better matches the culture of business and better...
- Start with a Data Lake. End with Business Value. Pivotal Big Data Suite enables companies to store all data, accelerate processing and most importantly increase the amount of data being analyzed and...
- The Key to Happiness: Throw out Your Data Warehouse In this webinar, Kerry Reitnauer, Director, Solution Architect at FairPoint Communications will discuss the challenges the data warehouse brought, how they migrated to...
- The Next Generation of Affordable Storage As data needs continue to grow and capacity expansion becomes a necessity, companies of all sizes have to address the delicate balance between... All Data Storage White Papers | Webcasts