IDG News Service - People using Google Inc.'s Gmail service are sucking up storage space faster than the company can add it.
Google said on Friday it is speeding up the rate at which it adds storage space for its Gmail Web-based e-mail service due to the increased storage requirements for attachments such as photos.
"A few of you are using Gmail so much that you're running out of space, so to make good on our promise, today we're announcing we are speeding up our counter and giving out more free storage," wrote Rob Siemborski, a Google engineer on the Gmail blog.
On Friday, the counter on the Gmail login page stood at more than 2,935MB, or about 2.9GB, of storage, and was rising, but the counter is an illustration rather than a hard limit.
Google started gradually increasing Gmail storage in April 2005 when the service turned one year old. Google's Gmail was immediately popular when it launched in 2004, offering free accounts with 1GB of storage, but this year has been surpassed by its rivals.
Microsoft Corp. upped its free storage limit for its Windows Live Hotmail service to 5GB in August, and Yahoo Inc. started offered "unlimited" storage in May.
Related News and Discussion:
- Google starts charging for extra storage
- Google looks for tighter link between Gmail and Docs
- Daily IT Blogwatch: Goooooogle Caaalendaaar (and choccy bunny)
- Daily IT Blogwatch: Yahoo! promises! unlimited! email! storage! (and the world)
- Shark Bait: Strange email notifications
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- OpenStack Hype vs. Reality: CIO Quick Pulse Open-source architecture can enable IT departments to build infrastructure-as-a-service (IaaS) clouds running on standard hardware.
- OpenStack and Red Hat: IDC White paper Most OpenStack deployments are by public cloud providers that are early adopters of technology and use OpenStack in a do-it-yourself deployment and support...
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux OpenStack Platform Datasheet Seamlessly transition to the cloud. Red Hat Enterprise Linux OpenStack Platform delivers an integrated foundation to create, deploy, and scale a secure and...
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Make or Break: New Auto Products Must Go To Market On Time This Webcast quantifies the value of time to market for the auto industry and highlights how Primavera Enterprise Portfolio Management can help organizations.
- IBM Flash Webcast: Optimizing your Datacenter for Efficient Storage & ROI Register for this webcast to learn the benefits of flash storage from IBM Customer, Leonardo Irastorza of Royal Caribbean Cruise Ltd and Storage... All Data Storage White Papers | Webcasts