IDG News Service - People using Google Inc.'s Gmail service are sucking up storage space faster than the company can add it.
Google said on Friday it is speeding up the rate at which it adds storage space for its Gmail Web-based e-mail service due to the increased storage requirements for attachments such as photos.
"A few of you are using Gmail so much that you're running out of space, so to make good on our promise, today we're announcing we are speeding up our counter and giving out more free storage," wrote Rob Siemborski, a Google engineer on the Gmail blog.
On Friday, the counter on the Gmail login page stood at more than 2,935MB, or about 2.9GB, of storage, and was rising, but the counter is an illustration rather than a hard limit.
Google started gradually increasing Gmail storage in April 2005 when the service turned one year old. Google's Gmail was immediately popular when it launched in 2004, offering free accounts with 1GB of storage, but this year has been surpassed by its rivals.
Microsoft Corp. upped its free storage limit for its Windows Live Hotmail service to 5GB in August, and Yahoo Inc. started offered "unlimited" storage in May.
Related News and Discussion:
- Google starts charging for extra storage
- Google looks for tighter link between Gmail and Docs
- Daily IT Blogwatch: Goooooogle Caaalendaaar (and choccy bunny)
- Daily IT Blogwatch: Yahoo! promises! unlimited! email! storage! (and the world)
- Shark Bait: Strange email notifications
- Data Protection eGuide In this eGuide, CSO and sister publications IDG News Service, Computerworld, and CIO pull together news, trend, and how-to articles about the increasingly...
- Data Viz: 7 Considerations for Visualization Deployment Rising data volumes and increasing data complexity can make it seem hard to find and disseminate important information. Read this white paper to...
- Mobile Content, Collaboration & IDC's 3rd IT Platform: The Next Frontier for the Mobile Enterprise IDC focuses this article on talks about the new IT platform. This 3rd IT Platform will be the new wave for about the...
- Accelerating Cloud Deployment and Operations with Managed Services Companies that do not have sufficient in-house expertise to either deploy or maintain an IaaS cloud should turn to Managed Service Providers .
- The Key to Happiness: Throw out Your Data Warehouse In this webinar, Kerry Reitnauer, Director, Solution Architect at FairPoint Communications will discuss the challenges the data warehouse brought, how they migrated to...
- The Foundation You Need to Build a Better Storage Infrastructure Watch this webcast to hear how you can maximize the economics of your data center by modifying your storage footprint and power usage... All Data Storage White Papers | Webcasts