Opinion: Smarter than a smart phone
Find the .PST file. Rename it from whatever it is (probably Outlook.pst) to something else (like Goodbye.pst). The name change will prevent any application from accessing and changing your Outlook data, and will help you go "cold turkey" from Outlook.
But by keeping the file around, you can simply rename the file and be back in business with Outlook if something goes south. Since you had previously established a "Connection" with Plaxo, Outlook and Plaxo will sync, and Outlook will be brought back up to date.
After you've gained trust and comfort with your new, online system you can uninstall Outlook.
Of course, there are downsides to this whole approach. If you're on an airplane, for example, or in a place where you have no Internet connection, you won't have access to your online data. Also, your personal information, although better protected from phone thieves, is less protected from online hackers. Some people aren't comfortable putting their PIM data online.
The upsides, however, are great. You can get your PIM data from any PC or phone, so if you have an unrecoverable crash, you'll still be able get at your vital data. You can pick any phone on any carrier (I've got my eye on the Helio Fin), even those that were eliminated from consideration by the old requirements of Outlook support, PIM applications and the need for a big keyboard. Phone thieves can't steal your data. And, best of all, you can kiss Outlook goodbye forever.
With freedom comes responsibility. So make sure you're using good passwords. Take the time to really learn and master these new services to enjoy their maximum benefits. I've just skimmed the surface with what you can do with Plaxo, Google Calendar, Gubb and Jott. By exploring and trying all the options and features, you'll be able to tailor them to perfectly suit your style of work and play in ways your old setup could never even attempt.
Mike Elgan writes about technology and global tech culture. Contact Mike at email@example.com or his blog, The Raw Feed.
Read more about Mobile/Wireless in Computerworld's Mobile/Wireless Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Protection for Every Enterprise: How BlackBerry Security Works Get an IT-level review of BlackBerry® Security, addressing data leakage protection, certified encryption, containerization and much more.
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts