Mother's ire puts Ballmer on defense over Vista
He then listed a number of corporations that have installed Vista, including Citibank and Continental Airlines Inc. "We are in, from ... a corporate and enterprise side, an early adoption cycle," said Ballmer.
Service Pack 1 is in beta "and addresses a lot of the customer feedback," said Ballmer. Moreover, because of the "instrumentation" built into Vista, Microsoft knows what problems people are facing, what drivers are missing and what application compatibility problems they are having, he said.
Ballmer also said that Vista is bigger than XP, and "for some people that's an issue, and it's not going to get smaller in any significant way in SP1. But machines are constantly getting bigger, and [it's] probably important to remember that as well."
"Good, I'll let you come in and install it for me," said Genovese.
How did the back-and-forth between Ballmer and Genovese play for the audience? One person at the conference, Alvin Naterpaul, a process management engineer at Baptist Health Care in Miami, said he liked the fact Genovese was "challenging him, so we are getting both sides of it."
Related Computerworld Stories and Discussion:
- Daily IT Blogwatch: Microsoft's Ballmer ambushed by mommy (and popmech-topten)
- FAQ: Giving up on Vista? Here's how to downgrade to XP
- Windows Vista A to Z
- Don't Believe the Hype: The 21 Biggest Technology Flops
- Ballmer: Linux users owe Microsoft
- Readers blast Ballmer for saying Linux users owe Microsoft
- Joyce Carpenter's blog: Mac OS X better than Vista which is better than XP which is better than ...
- Sound Off: Is the Mac a "viable alternative for real people with real jobs"?
Read more about Operating Systems in Computerworld's Operating Systems Topic Center.
- Flying High on the Use of Red Hat Enterprise Linux Flybe was one of the 21 companies that were interviewed for quantitative results on their operations as part of an IDC ROI analysis....
- Who does NSS Labs "Recommend" for NGFW? In 2012, NSS Labs found that most available NGFW solutions "fell short in performance and security effectiveness." In 2013 NSS Labs noted "marked...
- 9 Essentials for a Complete Cloud-to-Cloud Backup Solution In 9 Essentials for a Complete Cloud-to-Cloud Backup Solution, we'll walk you through potential sources of data loss in the cloud and provide...
- Ponemon 2014 SSH Security Vulnerability Report According to research by the Ponemon Institute, 3 out of 4 enterprises have no security controls in place for SSH which leaves organizations...
- Protecting Critical SaaS Data Before It's Too Late In this webinar, you'll hear how to avoid SaaS data loss through best practices from a panel of experts.
- Keep Servers Up and Running and Attackers in the Dark An SSL/TLS handshake requires at least 10 times more processing power on a server than on the client. SSL renegotiation attacks can readily... All Operating Systems White Papers | Webcasts