IDG News Service - Japan's NTT DoCoMo Inc. engineers are tinkering with the use of e-paper for cell phones, hoping to develop a keypad that changes icons depending on which application is being used.
The cellular carrier showed off prototypes of a phone with an e-paper keypad at the Ceatec exhibition in Chiba, Japan, this week. But the displays, from SiPix Imaging Inc., are not yet ready for commercialization in phones, said Shuichi Aoki, an assistant manager in DoCoMo's Product Department who helped developed the phone.
The prototype phone, which has been in development for about one year, has a keypad that switches the display on each key from numbers to Japanese phonetic characters, called hiragana and katakana, depending on what application is being used. For example, when a user opens the e-mail client, the keypad switches from numbers to the phonetic characters, making them easier for users to see, Aoki said.
The technology will make using cell phones easier for users, particularly older people who may not be accustomed to using the devices, he said.
Before e-paper can be used in handsets, more work must be done to improve the technology. In particular, the response time of the e-paper display must be improved so that the symbols and icons used with each key change faster when switching between applications.
"It's a little too slow right now," Aoki said.
DoCoMo also wants to switch from using segmented e-paper displays to an active-matrix display for future prototypes. The current prototype uses a segmented e-paper display, which limits the display to pre-set characters, numbers and symbols.
An active matrix display will allow any symbol or letter to be displayed, and allow applications to use their own, customized icons instead of drawing on a pre-determined list of available options, Aoki said.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Protection for Every Enterprise: How BlackBerry Security Works Get an IT-level review of BlackBerry® Security, addressing data leakage protection, certified encryption, containerization and much more.
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts