TechWorld.com - U.K. telecom operator BT is teaming up with Wi-Fi sharing service Fon to give all its customers the option of joining the Fon shared Wi-Fi service.
As predicted back in February, BT is giving its broadband customers the option of joining Fon, and using Fon community's shared Wi-Fi. BT's Home Hub gateway will include the Fon software as an option, and customers who take it up will share a portion of their bandwidth with other users, in exchange for using the Fon service for free at other Fon user' hotspots.
BT has more than three million customers, so this is a big endorsement of the Fon concept, which has suffered some criticism from ISPs who object to their bandwidth being shared. Outside of BT, there are around 190,000 Fon hotspots round the world, and 500,000 people signed up to use them.
"This is the start of something very exciting for BT," said Gavin Patterson, BT Group managing director, consumer. "Today we are launching a people's network of Wi-Fi, which could one day cover every street in Britain." The service will be promoted with the slogan "Wi-Fi for everyone, I'm in."
BT did not mention its converged cell phone, which uses Wi-Fi to give cheap calls over home Wi-Fi, but confirmed that Fusion users will get free phone calls at more places than before. This was not mentioned in the release, but BT confirmed that Fusion is still a live project, though its 40,000 users isn't a hugely impressive sum.
Although BT Fon users will have access to BT's OpenZone hotspots, the deal does not give OpenZone access to the wider Fon community -- though BT pointed out they are free to buy vouchers to access BT's public hotspots.
BT has invested in Fon and gets a seat on the Fon board, joining other investors including Google.
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- How WAN Optimization Helps Enterprises Reduce Costs If you wanted to break down innovation into a tidy equation, it might go something like this: Technology + Connectivity = Productivity. Productivity...
- Four Little-Known Ways WAN Optimization Can Benefit Your Organization WAN optimization has evolved into a complete system that optimizes traffic across a broad range of most popular applications while providing deep visibility...
- SharePlan Security SharePlan is a continuous, secure, enterprise-ready file sync and share platform that facilitates smart, real-time collaboration across all devices.
- Online Video and Web Traffic: Sochi 2014 Winter Olympic Games Over 25 leading global broadcasters worked with Akamai to deliver the action, excitement and inspiration of Sochi because they understand online viewers expect...
- Video surveillance for IT: maximum image quality, minimum bandwidth Join us on Thursday, May 8th at 1 p.m. EST when Willem Ryan, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Avigilon, will discuss how IT... All Networking White Papers | Webcasts