The 10 funniest YouTube help desk videos
Videos and parodies bring humor to an often-frustrating process for both helpers and users
Computerworld - The conflict between help desk workers and end users is as old – or perhaps older – than green screens.
IT help desks face constant frustration by having to regularly deal with issues like forgotten passwords and unplugged computers. On the other side, end users often perceive these exasperated help desk workers as unresponsive and dismissive of their problems.
With some surveys showing that 20% of all help desk calls are password issues, one can understand the wrath that a technician may lob toward an unsuspecting user. On the other hand, with more and more help desks understaffed or sending work to overseas locales like India, where language issues can come into play, end user angst can rouse sympathy as well.
Ah, but the help desk battles do make for some hilarious YouTube fodder.
In our list of the 10 funniest help desk YouTube videos, the help desk grapples with befuddled users both in the U.S. and India and in a galaxy far, far away. In addition, ever wonder what the help desk does when they perhaps should be manning the phones? Tune in below to find out.
1. First up: A man grappling with pop-up ads journeys to India to meet with the call center representative who answers his call for assistance. Upon arriving, he even takes some (ill-advised) help desk calls himself.
2. Even those dedicated troopers who get to work in help desk services on the Death Star find themselves at odds with callers grappling with technical issues. And yes, that is the help desk asking for a model number and other specs for a system when a panicked caller reports that a system failure just resulted in an enemy ship escaping from the Death Star.
3. This video plays to the stereotypical help desk worker who only answers a call after he is done with a meal, then deals with a caller who can't turn on a machine. His co-worker, meanwhile, provides advice that is too technical for another caller.
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Data on the Move = Business on the Move; How Strategic Secure Managed File Transfer Adds Value and Drives Business This whitepaper describes the formal and informal file-sharing methods business employees use to perform their daily functions and explains that, from sending small...
- Infographic: Converged Infrastructure Benefits This Infographic quantifies the savings organizations are realizing from increased deployment speed, higher availability, and lower annual costs.
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- Going Paperless? Here's What You Need to Think About As makers of some of the world's most popular PDF solutions, we often consult with businesses & governmental agencies that have the goal...
- Supercharge Your Web and Mobile App Development with High-Productivity Hybrid Cloud Webinar: Hear from industry experts about the amazing power at the intersection of next-generation web and mobile application development and cloud platforms.
- Building Tomorrow's Infrastructure Listen to this podcast to discover how Crider Foods worked with PC Connection to update their IT infrastructure, while maintaining compliance and control. All Internet White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!