The 10 funniest YouTube help desk videos
Videos and parodies bring humor to an often-frustrating process for both helpers and users
Computerworld - The conflict between help desk workers and end users is as old – or perhaps older – than green screens.
IT help desks face constant frustration by having to regularly deal with issues like forgotten passwords and unplugged computers. On the other side, end users often perceive these exasperated help desk workers as unresponsive and dismissive of their problems.
With some surveys showing that 20% of all help desk calls are password issues, one can understand the wrath that a technician may lob toward an unsuspecting user. On the other hand, with more and more help desks understaffed or sending work to overseas locales like India, where language issues can come into play, end user angst can rouse sympathy as well.
Ah, but the help desk battles do make for some hilarious YouTube fodder.
In our list of the 10 funniest help desk YouTube videos, the help desk grapples with befuddled users both in the U.S. and India and in a galaxy far, far away. In addition, ever wonder what the help desk does when they perhaps should be manning the phones? Tune in below to find out.
1. First up: A man grappling with pop-up ads journeys to India to meet with the call center representative who answers his call for assistance. Upon arriving, he even takes some (ill-advised) help desk calls himself.
2. Even those dedicated troopers who get to work in help desk services on the Death Star find themselves at odds with callers grappling with technical issues. And yes, that is the help desk asking for a model number and other specs for a system when a panicked caller reports that a system failure just resulted in an enemy ship escaping from the Death Star.
3. This video plays to the stereotypical help desk worker who only answers a call after he is done with a meal, then deals with a caller who can't turn on a machine. His co-worker, meanwhile, provides advice that is too technical for another caller.
- Data on the Move = Business on the Move; How Strategic Secure Managed File Transfer Adds Value and Drives Business This whitepaper describes the formal and informal file-sharing methods business employees use to perform their daily functions and explains that, from sending small...
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- Supercharge Your Web and Mobile App Development with High-Productivity Hybrid Cloud Webinar: Hear from industry experts about the amazing power at the intersection of next-generation web and mobile application development and cloud platforms.
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources... All Internet White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!