Verizon, Spacenet win $25M Postal Service satellite contract
Nationwide system will support range of applications at 5,000 sites
Computerworld - Verizon Business and Spacenet Inc. announced today that the companies won a $25 million contract to provide point-to-point satellite communications for about 5,000 U.S. Postal Service sites.
The two-year contract, dubbed ORB-IT (for Outerspace Radio Broadcast Information Technology), could be extended to eight years in all under three, two-year optional extensions, both companies reported.
Both providers will offer the Postal Service full-time broadband satellite data services and on-demand connectivity, using VSAT (Very Small Aperture Terminal) technology. Verizon Business, a unit of Verizon Communications Inc., has also been the Postal Service's private network provider since 1997.
Spacenet said in a statement that the satellite network will support a number of applications, including a video relay service for postal workers who are deaf or hard of hearing, multicast content delivery, real-time video broadcasting, voice-over-IP telephone service, and more routine data transport and point-of-sale transactions.
Sites are expected to be in operation this fall. The network will also support 20 mobile satellite communications kits to be used in USPS vehicles during emergencies.
Read more about Mobile/Wireless in Computerworld's Mobile/Wireless Topic Center.
- Securing the enterprise workspace: protect your organization while supporting mobility and BYOD Read this white paper to learn ways to bolster security across enterprise networks while giving employees simple, authorized remote access to corporate applications...
- Transforming enterprise applications for mobile environments Read this white paper for tips on how to prepare critical applications to be securely accessed from an array of company-owned and personal...
- Future-proof your mobility strategy with Dell Enterprise Mobility Management Read this paper to discover best practices to future-proof your mobile strategy in the evolving world of devices, operating systems, work habits and...
- Enabling devices and device management for your mobility/BYOD program Read this white paper to learn how to support employees with the best devices to increase flexibility, productivity and job satisfaction.
- Don't Believe the Hype: Not All Containers are Created Equal Hear executives discuss the 3 C's of Secure Mobility-content, credentials, and configurations-and learn the inherent security risks to your organization of using MDM...
- Navigating the New Wireless Landscape Thriving in the new wireless landscape View Now>> All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts