Microsoft, Siemens VDO team on car navigation, entertainment
IDG News Service - Microsoft Corp.'s in-car technology is getting a boost via a deal with a large supplier of automotive electronics. Germany's Siemens VDO Automotive AG has agreed to collaborate with it on a next-generation communication and entertainment system.
Siemens VDO and Microsoft said Friday they will work together to develop a new generation of on-board communication, navigation and entertainment systems that use Microsoft Auto, a software system and hardware reference design. Siemens VDO counts Volkswagen AG, DaimlerChrysler AG and Ford Motor Co. among its customers.
Among the features planned by the two companies are in-vehicle video entertainment and Internet connectivity, according to Siemens VDO spokeswoman Eva Appold.
Systems based on Microsoft Auto let drivers connect various portable devices, such as mobile phones, MP3 players and video games, into their automotive system via a USB 2.0 (Universal Serial Bus) port, and interact with devices via voice technology.
The new multimedia system planned by Siemens VDO, to be available in early 2009, will be based on hardware components and software developed by the German company, and include entertainment and communication components of Microsoft Auto, according to Appold.
Siemens VDO, a subsidiary of German electronics and engineering company Siemens AG, plans to show a prototype multimedia system at the IAA (Internationale Automobil Ausstellung) international motor show in Frankfurt next week.
"The multimedia platform will be very versatile, but it's up to our car manufacturing customers to decide which features they want to offer," Appold said.
Appold was unable to provide pricing details, saying that final prices will be determined by the car makers.
As part of the agreement with Microsoft, Siemens VDO will contribute to the further development of Microsoft Auto, the companies said.
Microsoft already has agreements with Ford and Fiat SpA to supply software for new in-vehicle communication and entertainment systems designed by the car makers.
- Assessing ROI for Mobile Acceleration Clients This EMA® paper examines the business case for deploying mobile WAN optimization client software and builds a ROI model based on the experiences...
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!