Microsoft, Siemens VDO team on car navigation, entertainment
IDG News Service - Microsoft Corp.'s in-car technology is getting a boost via a deal with a large supplier of automotive electronics. Germany's Siemens VDO Automotive AG has agreed to collaborate with it on a next-generation communication and entertainment system.
Siemens VDO and Microsoft said Friday they will work together to develop a new generation of on-board communication, navigation and entertainment systems that use Microsoft Auto, a software system and hardware reference design. Siemens VDO counts Volkswagen AG, DaimlerChrysler AG and Ford Motor Co. among its customers.
Among the features planned by the two companies are in-vehicle video entertainment and Internet connectivity, according to Siemens VDO spokeswoman Eva Appold.
Systems based on Microsoft Auto let drivers connect various portable devices, such as mobile phones, MP3 players and video games, into their automotive system via a USB 2.0 (Universal Serial Bus) port, and interact with devices via voice technology.
The new multimedia system planned by Siemens VDO, to be available in early 2009, will be based on hardware components and software developed by the German company, and include entertainment and communication components of Microsoft Auto, according to Appold.
Siemens VDO, a subsidiary of German electronics and engineering company Siemens AG, plans to show a prototype multimedia system at the IAA (Internationale Automobil Ausstellung) international motor show in Frankfurt next week.
"The multimedia platform will be very versatile, but it's up to our car manufacturing customers to decide which features they want to offer," Appold said.
Appold was unable to provide pricing details, saying that final prices will be determined by the car makers.
As part of the agreement with Microsoft, Siemens VDO will contribute to the further development of Microsoft Auto, the companies said.
Microsoft already has agreements with Ford and Fiat SpA to supply software for new in-vehicle communication and entertainment systems designed by the car makers.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Protection for Every Enterprise: How BlackBerry Security Works Get an IT-level review of BlackBerry® Security, addressing data leakage protection, certified encryption, containerization and much more.
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts