Drexel Univ. looks to make Internet Public Library a virtual learning lab
The goal is to help users keep up with digital reference services technology
Computerworld - Drexel University is working with the University of Michigan and Florida State University to transform the Internet Public Library (IPL) into a virtual teaching and learning laboratory for digital reference.
The project will help librarians as well as students in library and information science programs keep up with the new technological developments in digital reference services, according to a statement from the university. Users want to access information around the clock via handhelds, cell phone text messaging and online virtual environments, the university said.
Drexel said it received more than $600,000 in grants from the U.S. Institute of Museum and Library Services' Laura Bush 21st Century Librarian Program, which will run through June 2010.
Launched in 1995, the IPL hosts an e-mail question-and-answer service and provides access to collections, including exhibits and resources on a variety of subjects with Web links. "The grant will be used to develop and disseminate digital reference curricula, establish an online learning community to support the IPL, and design and determine the feasibility of a technological training center for digital librarianship," according to the statement.
Eileen Abels and Denise Agosto, professors in the College of Information Science and Technology, will serve as principal investigator and co-principal investigator on the project, respectively. "The IPL is a valuable public resource and teaching tool," said Abels. "The ... grant means that more library and information science students will receive hands-on digital library experience and more faculty members will be able to collaborate on new projects in the area of digital reference."
Read more about Internet in Computerworld's Internet Topic Center.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Six Ways Your Small Business Can Save with Internet Phone Service Traditional phone systems present two main problems for businesses: limited features and high costs. As a result, small businesses are migrating to Internet...
- IDC Report: The Future of eMail is Social This paper discusses the changing nature of collaboration and work fueled by the social Web by examining current email trends and the emergence...
- The Business of Social Business Social business represents a significant transformational opportunity for organizations. Read this whitepaper to learn more.
- Gartner 2013 Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Backup/Recovery Software See why CommVault was positioned as the #1 leader in Gartner's 2013 Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Backup/Recovery software for the 3rd year in...
- Supercharge Your Web and Mobile App Development with High-Productivity Hybrid Cloud Webinar: Hear from industry experts about the amazing power at the intersection of next-generation web and mobile application development and cloud platforms.
- Four Myths of High-Productivity App Dev Debunked Debunk the main myths surrounding high-productivity application development and how both platforms have overcome them. All Internet White Papers | Webcasts