Drexel Univ. looks to make Internet Public Library a virtual learning lab
The goal is to help users keep up with digital reference services technology
Computerworld - Drexel University is working with the University of Michigan and Florida State University to transform the Internet Public Library (IPL) into a virtual teaching and learning laboratory for digital reference.
The project will help librarians as well as students in library and information science programs keep up with the new technological developments in digital reference services, according to a statement from the university. Users want to access information around the clock via handhelds, cell phone text messaging and online virtual environments, the university said.
Drexel said it received more than $600,000 in grants from the U.S. Institute of Museum and Library Services' Laura Bush 21st Century Librarian Program, which will run through June 2010.
Launched in 1995, the IPL hosts an e-mail question-and-answer service and provides access to collections, including exhibits and resources on a variety of subjects with Web links. "The grant will be used to develop and disseminate digital reference curricula, establish an online learning community to support the IPL, and design and determine the feasibility of a technological training center for digital librarianship," according to the statement.
Eileen Abels and Denise Agosto, professors in the College of Information Science and Technology, will serve as principal investigator and co-principal investigator on the project, respectively. "The IPL is a valuable public resource and teaching tool," said Abels. "The ... grant means that more library and information science students will receive hands-on digital library experience and more faculty members will be able to collaborate on new projects in the area of digital reference."
Read more about Internet in Computerworld's Internet Topic Center.
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Data on the Move = Business on the Move; How Strategic Secure Managed File Transfer Adds Value and Drives Business This whitepaper describes the formal and informal file-sharing methods business employees use to perform their daily functions and explains that, from sending small...
- Acxiom Case Study This case study, which focuses on Acxiom, explores how the company was able to secure employee data, reduce migration costs and boost productivity...
- Windows® XP Migration: Protect and Secure Critical Data With the end of the Microsoft Windows XP operating system's lifecycle on April 8, 2014, businesses are faced with the decision to migrate...
- Exponentially Accelerate Data Protection and Recovery with Simpana 10 IntelliSnap® Snapshot Management Technology Are you making the best use of your storage array snapshot functionality? CommVault Simpana 10 IntelliSnap technology manages hardware-based snapshots across multiple vendor...
- Supercharge Your Web and Mobile App Development with High-Productivity Hybrid Cloud Webinar: Hear from industry experts about the amazing power at the intersection of next-generation web and mobile application development and cloud platforms.
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to... All Internet White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!