Paying Skype users get a week's free service
The move follows a two-day outage of its VoIP service
The company has sent an e-mail to customers who pay for its premium services informing them of the offer, Skype spokeswoman Imogen Bailey said today.
"As a goodwill gesture to all you faithful Skype Pro, Skype Unlimited, SkypeIn or Skype Voicemail customers, we're adding an additional seven days to your current subscription free of charge," the e-mail said. "And even if you didn't miss out on using Skype last week, you can still have a week free on Skype, on the house."
The widespread collapse of the peer-to-peer voice-over-IP service last week occurred when millions of Windows users tried to log onto Skype at the same time, after downloading a software update from Microsoft Corp. and rebooting their machines. Many people had problems logging on early Thursday morning and were unable to connect until Saturday.
Whether the free week's service will keep paying customers from dropping the peer-to-peer VoIP service remains to be seen. The interruption was a major inconvenience for business users, although some took the service failure in stride.
Joyce Brecknell, program director at Freeform Dynamics Ltd., is a paying Skype customer and a "big user of VoIP service, both professionally and privately."
"I know where Skype works and where it still has some limitations," she said. "My expectation of VoIP is that it's still a backup service. I have multiple communication channels -- like my mobile phone -- just in case."
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- EDI in China: Developing a Strategy for B2B Integration Success IBM solutions for EDI have helped companies across the globe securely connect and build partner communities.
- Mobile Policy Checklist Here's what to consider when putting together a mobile policy designed to support a highly productive workforce.
- Mobile Applications Case Study: 8 Billion Transactions a Day The story documents how the online brokerage company tradeMONSTER created a custom mobile app and the success gleaned from this initiative. Also covered...
- Who's afraid of the big (data) bad wolf? Survive the big data storm by getting ahead of integration and governance functional requirements This paper provides a detailed review of the best practices clients should consider before embarking on their big data integration projects.
- Polycom Virtual Meeting Rooms Video The conference room is the hub for group collaboration. With Polycom, you can extend the productivity and efficiency benefits of face-to-face meetings beyond...
- Mobile Apps and Devices Slash Customer Cycle Time Consolidated Engineering Laboratories' field employees used to collect data on triplicate forms that were sometimes hard to read and difficult to manage. After... All E-business White Papers | Webcasts