Amazon leaks price, date of first Windows Home Server box
Systems set to ship Sept. 15, pricing starts at $599
Computerworld - Details and prices of the first home server running Microsoft Corp.'s Windows Home Server software were posted briefly on several online stores yesterday. Systems are scheduled to ship Sept. 15 at prices starting at $599.
According to listings on such e-tailing sites as Amazon.com, PCMall.com and onSale.com, Hewlett-Packard Co.'s MediaSmart Home Server will be sold in two models at prices of $599 and $749. The pair are identical with the exception of the amount of included storage: the $599 server contains 500GB, while the $759 unit offers 1TB.
Both servers will be powered by a 1.8-GHz Sempron processor from Advanced Micro Devices Inc., and come bundled with HP's Photo Webshare software, an add-on to Windows Home Server (WHS) that builds a photo-sharing Web site and serves it from the MediaSmart box. None of the for-sales listings spelled out the amount of memory in the servers, however.
HP declined to comment on the MediaSmart leaks.
Although some of the MediaSmart listings have been pulled, others remain online, if in truncated form. Amazon.com, for instance, still shows the servers but has removed the pricing it posted for a short time yesterday.
The two servers are equipped with four-drive bays for internal storage, and four USB 2.0 ports to connect additional external drivers. The 500GB model has only one bay filled, while the 1TB system fills two, indicating that HP is using 500GB drives.
Windows Home Server has been in the news of late -- users have reported that the software-only system builder edition is available in some countries -- but this is the first hint of pricing, configurations and delivery dates for a system from one of the resellers that has committed to Home Server hardware.
Other manufacturers set on producing servers running Home Server include Fujitsu Siemens Computers, Gateway Inc., Iomega Corp., LaCie Ltd. and Medion AG. None have disclosed prices or set ship dates, however.
Read more about Servers in Computerworld's Servers Topic Center.
- Eliminating Jenkins Sprawl: Going from CI to CD with Electric Cloud Many organizations have begun adopting Continuous Delivery (CD) practices to increase velocity beyond the build and test phase. This paper reveals how organizations...
- Optimized Efficiency for SMB Datacenters with Infortrend EonStor DS Storage Solutions Did you know that Infortrend's EonStor DS systems are ideal solutions for storage infrastructure consolidation, high-availability clusters, server virtualization and green datacenters? And...
- Top Reasons for Upgrading to Emulex Gen 5 Fibre Channel HBAs With Gen 5 Fibre Channel HBAs you can run more virtual machines and applications per server, cut your HBA installation and management time...
- Datacenter eGuide Read on to learn what technologies are essential for high-performing data centers today, and to get a glimpse of what the data center...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All Servers White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!