Sony launches U.S. e-waste recycling effort
The free program can be used for all Sony consumer electronic devices
Computerworld - Sony Electronics Inc. has launched a nationwide recycling program to help consumers recycle and dispose of their electronic devices.
The Sony Take Back Recycling Program will allow consumers to recycle all Sony products for free at 75 Waste Management (WM) Recycle America eCycling drop-off centers across the U.S.
Consumers may also ship their used Sony Electronics products to certain WM Recycle America locations. They can also pay market rates to recycle other manufacturers' consumer electronics products, and some materials may require a recycling fee, according to a statement.
Sony said it developed the program, which begins Sept. 15, with WM Recycle America, a subsidiary of Waste Management Inc. The companies plan to increase the number of eCycling drop-off centers to 150 within a year and hope to have at least one center in every state. Eventually Sony and WM Recycle America want to locate drop-off centers within 20 miles of nearly every U.S. citizen.
Sony said the recycling program is part of its global commitment to protecting the environment.
"Providing the highest level of service and support doesn't stop once a purchase is made. We believe it is Sony's responsibility to provide customers with end-of-life solutions for all the products we manufacture," said Stan Glasgow, president and chief operating officer of Sony Electronics, in the statement. "Through the Take Back Recycling Program, our customers will know that their Sony products will be recycled in an environmentally responsible manner."
Glasgow said Sony's goal is to recycle one pound of old consumer electronics equipment for every pound of new products it sells.
Read more about Mobile/Wireless in Computerworld's Mobile/Wireless Topic Center.
- Assessing ROI for Mobile Acceleration Clients This EMA® paper examines the business case for deploying mobile WAN optimization client software and builds a ROI model based on the experiences...
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!